Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
triple 7 firestar pellets >

triple 7 firestar pellets

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

triple 7 firestar pellets

Old 09-13-2018, 10:54 AM
Typical Buck

thanks for the info on hogdon pellets but i'm going to stick with bh209 & i do start out with a fouled barrel. 2 cci magnum primers & then i load my hunting load & ready to go.
Old 09-13-2018, 12:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

There are a few rare people, especially some who live at higher altitudes who know what they are doing and get along with 77 quite well; then there are those who just don't know much like once a year hunters and beginners who either struggle with it or shoot with the bullet or sabot bullet combination seated on the crudring and not the powder and never realize it unless they ruin a barrel. I would not know but suspect that even if you don't hurt the barrel it going to make a major difference in accuracy.
I suggest that anyone who uses 77 use a witness mark and refer to it very carefully even if they think they have taken the crudring out.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:21 PM
Fork Horn

I have been using BH209 since it was introduced.. Given our Camp set up I don't have the ability to fire fouling shots with full load. I do fire two primers(I use Federal 209A) and then load up my regular hunting load with no accuracy issues.to my knowledge.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:11 PM
Banned

muzzle-loaders tested them. They still got a new crud ring. Stick with loose powder. More bang for your buck and no marketing gimmicks.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:41 AM
Typical Buck

thanks everybody for the great information i will stick with my bh209. just wanted to see what kind of infor people had on firestar. i must of lost my mind for a second to even think about switching back to pellets .or otherwise had a senior moment.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Of course they got more speed. 3 Firestar pellets weigh 12gr more than 2 standard Triple7 pellets. Both are claimed to be the 100gr equivalent. Obviously you are going to have more speed with more powder until barrel length limitations kick in. Simple math 100gr charge of 2x pellets weighs an average of 60.75gr and a 100gr charge of 3 FireStar weighs 72.95gr.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:27 AM
Fork Horn

I tried them in my Accura with 250 grain Aerolite Powerbelts... the three pellet load shot terrible,,, more of a pattern than a group. With 777 primers the crud ring was barely there.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

Allant Blue pellets or White Hot pellets for me. Use three pellet practice routines for longer distances. This stuff really leaves your barrel cleaner after several shots and I've yet to have a misfire emptying the gun after a morning or evening hunt.

This is not for the budget-minded, although they aren't expensive to purchase. But it might be in the user's best interest to fire the load and start fresh the next day. That's what I do.
Old 09-25-2020, 02:02 PM
Spike

Default Triple Seven Firestar pellets

On the package, it states to only use in guns certified to use Firestar pellets. Can anyone tell me which ML guns are certified to use Firestar pellets?
Old 09-29-2020, 03:37 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by coonhound10
On the package, it states to only use in guns certified to use Firestar pellets. Can anyone tell me which ML guns are certified to use Firestar pellets?
Where on the package does it say that?

I’ve only seen where it says to use in modern muzzleloaders with 209 ignition.