Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Aluminum Bullet -- 80g Blackhorn >

Aluminum Bullet -- 80g Blackhorn

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Aluminum Bullet -- 80g Blackhorn

Old 04-11-2018, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Aluminum Bullet -- 80g Blackhorn

Jonathan (MountainDevil54) provided this Thor 45 caliber 63 grain Aluminum Bullet. The bullet came with sabot.

The distance between the rifle and horse is 25 yard. The powder charge is 80 grain Blackhorn.

The bullet went through the front jug; the jug suffered significant damage. The petal was found beneath the horse. The bullet was caught by the second jug. The last four jugs were undamaged.

_
Old 04-11-2018, 11:54 AM
Banned

Interesting! So that is a control fracture of some sort it seems. Very cool testing.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:19 PM
Typical Buck

Not a very good CF though. With 80gr BH at 25 yards that bullet had to be screaming. Thor needs to go back to the drawing board on that one. I've heard nothing but good things about Thor bullets and would expect much better performance from what they put out.

Mountain Devil, maybe you know, why are they even attempting such a light weight bullet? That thing would have a hard time penetrating a coyote.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:13 PM
Banned

Young hunters mostly. You can take that bullet load up 120-150gr of powder and still have almost no felt recoil. I shot 110gr 2fg in my Hawken with that bullet and recoil was like a .22
Old 04-11-2018, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have .458 100grn aluminum bullets from Lehigh. There really for pistol powders or your typical smokeless powders used in ML’S. I believe it’s 100 yard max range bullets. And the Lehigh’s are a true CF bullet. They work at low velocity, but no tip in them. I’m sure that bullet would work without a tip in it to.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:05 PM
Typical Buck

So a paper trainer bullet then. I can see that for the wee ones to train at the range but not for shooting anything bigger than a coyote. Get the little ones used to the big bang and work them up to the big shoulder push. Thats how dad and I did with my twins. Of course with them eating me out of house and home, we had to get them shooting real bullets so they can get some meat in the dang house. I swear, if I don't hear "I'm hungry" at least 10 times a day I immediately check to see if they are sick.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:53 PM
Typical Buck

The Thor .451 63 grain aluminum bullets with sabots that are now on the market do not have any plastic tip.
https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/thor-...5-pack.htmlThe
Thor's website lists 4 different aluminum bullets including a 100 grain .458.
https://www.thorbullets.com/services1.html

What peaked my interest in seeing how this bullet weight performs was recently looking at a Taurus Raging Hornet revolver which in turn led me
to come across this video below of a hog kill at 50 yards with a 45 grain Sierra .22 Hornet bullet.

Very lethal head shot at the 1:50 mark which just goes to show how effectively speed kills.

Last edited by arcticap; 09-06-2018 at 11:32 AM.