Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
#10 Caps or 209 Primers? >

#10 Caps or 209 Primers?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

#10 Caps or 209 Primers?

Old 03-31-2018, 07:08 AM
Spike

Default #10 Caps or 209 Primers?

I picked up a Knight Wolverine 50 cal at a good price a couple weeks ago. The breech plug was missing, probably destroyed from no grease and poor cleaning. Barrel looked OK as did the rest of the gun. Got to looking for a breech plug and found complete bolt, breech plug with nipple for the #10 cap conversion. Have not shot it yet as still getting the rest of the stuff together. Plan is to use 50/50 and/or 50/30 Pyrodex pellets. How does the powder ignition compare between the #10caps and the 209 primers?
Old 03-31-2018, 08:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by chieffan
I picked up a Knight Wolverine 50 cal at a good price a couple weeks ago. The breech plug was missing, probably destroyed from no grease and poor cleaning. Barrel looked OK as did the rest of the gun. Got to looking for a breech plug and found complete bolt, breech plug with nipple for the #10 cap conversion. Have not shot it yet as still getting the rest of the stuff together. Plan is to use 50/50 and/or 50/30 Pyrodex pellets. How does the powder ignition compare between the #10caps and the 209 primers?

I am hoping that it really is a #11 nipple... if so then make sure you get either #11 MAG caps or better yet RWS Dynimit Nobel 1075+ caps. These should ignite Pyro pellets just fine if you get the black powder end of the pellet down the bore first...

You could use a red plastic jacket with a 209 primer and a FPJ breech plug - but I am sure with a the hotter #11's you will get pellet ignition.

Last edited by sabotloader; 03-31-2018 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:01 AM
Banned

If you're set on using pellets, 209 would be a lot better for you. Pellets at times fail to set off with a 209 primer, factor in how weak a #11 cap is and you will be playing the guessing game the next time you go hunting and get ready to squeeze the trigger.

If you want to use percussion caps, use loose powder.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by toytruck
I always thought just the opposite. Put the other end down first so the black powder end gets the fire from the cap/primer for better ignition. I never had a problem setting them off that way when I tried pyro pellets.
Correct - that is what I am saying the black powder end should go down the bore first and sit right on the flash hole of the breech plug
Old 04-01-2018, 12:47 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by toytruck
I always thought just the opposite. Put the other end down first so the black powder end gets the fire from the cap/primer for better ignition. I never had a problem setting them off that way when I tried pyro pellets.
If you put the black powder end down then it does get the fire from the primer .
What am I missing ???

Last edited by 1874sharpsshooter; 04-01-2018 at 12:52 PM.