Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hunting Prep 2018

Old 03-23-2018, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hunting Prep 2018

Last season the boy, and i each killed deer using the 265g Lehigh Controlled Fracture bullet. The bullet worked good.

For the coming season i am thinking on using the 250g Deep Curl bullet. Three summers ago it was shot into a setup similar to shown in the photo. The powder charge then was 80 grain Blackhorn, and the distance from rifle to the horse was 25 yard.

What happened back then can be seen in the VIDEO, and in the photos.

The bullet destroyed the front jug, blew up the second jug, and made the third jug leak. The bullet was found on the ground below the horse; photo shows the bullet.

This morning, using the rifle the boy likes to hunt with; five shots, using the Deep Curl were taken at paper.

_
Old 03-23-2018, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ron,
That looks identical to how XTP'S perform. Those pieces flying around inside to cause damage for sure.

Its nice using different bullets and guns every year. This was the first year i used the same bullet all year long.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Tom,

It is good you have the energy to switch bullets/rifles, during the season. Me, i guess i am too lazy. Normally, what ever bullet i start the season with, i finish the season with. ☻

_
Old 03-23-2018, 08:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ron that's some nice country. I envy you living out west. If I didn't have so much stuff I would seriously think about packing up and heading out to Idaho or maybe western Montana. I hunted a couple times up in an area called Stolle Meadows in ID. Just gorgeous.
Old 03-24-2018, 03:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

And there is also Wyoming. We lived in Montana longer than we lived anywhere else. Our children live in Montana still. Never hunted Idaho, but did a lot of Steelhead, and Salmon fishing there. Have hunted much of Montana, and have many many fond memories. My first Elk tag i purchased over the counter for $1. Even now, the boy purchases over the counter Elk tags. Never have gotten over my feeling for Montana.

-
Old 03-29-2018, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

The photo shows the bullet caught when the powder was 50 grain Blackhorn.

Complete Report

This morning we set up at 75 yard as in the OP, and aside from the sabot, used the same load. The short Harvester sabot was used instead of the crush rib. Because there are two of us hunters, we naturally need two rifles; the UltraLight Mountaineer was shot this morning.

_
Old 03-29-2018, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks real good Ron!!
Old 03-30-2018, 03:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Tom,

The Knight UltraLight sure shoots straight, plus it is wonderful to carry whilst trying to sneak on deer. Nice looking rifle too, yes i like it.

_