Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
BARNES 50cal 250gr EXP-MZ BULLET HPFB >

BARNES 50cal 250gr EXP-MZ BULLET HPFB

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

BARNES 50cal 250gr EXP-MZ BULLET HPFB

Old 03-08-2018, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default BARNES 50cal 250gr EXP-MZ BULLET HPFB

The BARNES 50cal 250gr EXP-MZ BULLET HPFB was provided by anonymous.

The distance between the rifle, and the horse was 25 yard. The load was 50 grain Blackhorn Powder.

The bullet went through the carpet/plywood, blew up the front jug, and split the front of the second jug wide open, then bounced off the backside of the second jug. The third, fourth, fifth, and sixth jug were undamaged. The bullet was found in the grass almost in a straight line back toward the rifle. The bullet flew over half way back to the rifle, maybe 15 yard.

_
Old 03-08-2018, 10:49 AM
Fork Horn

Don't get much better than that, this is why I use the Barnes 250 TEZ, same results.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Barnes are great......been using them in my smokepole for about 25 yrs. last 10 yrs I'm using the the 250gr. Tez, just deadly and accurate. took this bear with it October 2017
Attached Thumbnails BARNES 50cal 250gr EXP-MZ BULLET HPFB-resized_20171014_072308.jpg  
Old 03-09-2018, 03:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

IMO it fall short of the penetration I'd desire. Of course you're only using a light load and the devastation it did was good and would cause a great deal of internal damage. I'd like to see the test run again with a hunting load of something like 80 gr and see what it does. Is that possible Ron?
I'm a fan of the 295 EZ by Barnes.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:01 AM
Typical Buck

love those 290 tez on my vortex striker fire ldr have yet a deer that ran more than 20 yrds when using that combo most of them drt . & for the mz expanders using my t/c or traditions pursuit same results. the striker fire i use for open fields & for long shots further than 100 yrds & for the t/c & pursuit use for thick brush or stalking . last deer season did'nt use the inlines much .i used a 450 bushmaster & some how i regret not using the inlines. more of a challenge .pretty sure i'm going back to the inlines this year. did manage to take my last deer with the traditions pursuit through.