Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Remington Ultimate >

Remington Ultimate

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Remington Ultimate

Old 02-13-2018, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Remington Ultimate

Rather Remington's current status is promoting it or not, Remington appears to be now cracking down on shooters who insist on using BH209 in the Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader. Remington is stating that BH209 IS NOT an approved propellant.
Now this is something that I've been suggesting since the RUM went into production, but some writer promoted it and off everyone went, even though its never been written in the owner's manual as an approved propellant. Someone at the call desk at Remington told people that they could shoot BH from the rifle, actually more than one shooter was told this. However, it appears things have changed.

The following is a quote from a member of a FB page I have for UF and RUM owners ONLY. I have his permission to share his "of late" experience.

"Update on my Remington Ultimate I had in for warranty work due to headspace issue. I called Remington 2 weeks ago due to no update on my warranty process via their website and my serial number. The warranty department stated they had no clue where my gun was due to it not being in their system, even tho they sent UPS to pick it up and had records of it being delivered at their facility. Today I received an email that the gun would be delivered today by the end of day, which the gun showed up via UPS. I also received a note stating that my headspace was off due to a bad breechplug. The reason for the bad breechplug, was due to improper powder use (black horn 209). Remington stated the only approved powder for my gun is pellets. I’m curious due to Remington previously telling me I’m fine to shoot blackhorn 209 out of the gun. I contacted the gun repair department and they also stated DO NOT shoot Blackhorn. I guess I will be switching to Triple 7 magnum pellets lol. I wanted everyone to have a heads up on the Remington’s stance on shooting Blackhorn 209. My gun is perfect now, no dented brass and the brass is now clean as new after every shot with pellets. Remington also noted I did not get charged for repair due to the gun damaging brass out of the box with the very first shot even with pellets prior to me switching to Blackhorn."
Old 02-14-2018, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Did you know Remington filed bankruptcy? I heard this from the shot show.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Did you know Remington filed bankruptcy? I heard this from the shot show.
Yup, its kinda old news. The parent company ruined Remington, just like other holding companies do.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

I had a feeling that BH209 would have problems getting listed as recommended. Pretty simple fix although its expensive.

Hankins HIS LRMP system is the cure but atm that also requires a new barrel too. IMO he would have a decent market to replicate a factory plug for those that only want to use subs. Each plug would either need to be rifle specific or the barrel would need machining. Those plugs last for ages though and only needs a bushing once its toast.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 02-14-2018 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
I had a feeling that BH209 would have problems getting listed as recommended. Pretty simple fix although its expensive.

Hankins HIS LRMP system is the cure but atm that also requires a new barrel too. IMO he would have a decent market to replicate a factory plug for those that only want to use subs. Each plug would either need to be rifle specific or the barrel would need machining. Those plugs last for ages though and only needs a bushing once its toast.
I know that if I ever have another cut BP, things will certainly change big time.

The problem with the rifle is, Remington has been trying to save money by not setting the headspace correctly before the rifles leave the factory. Its not hard. If there's no open sights, its even easier.

I was hoping Remington, who knew of the issues before manufacturing them, would have stepped up and did it right the first time.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am totally at a loss to understand what the hell you guys are talking about. What muzzle loader uses brass? Is this a BPCR gun? Is this an inline gun and does it use a piece of brass with a primer to initiate fire in the gun?
Old 02-17-2018, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rafsob
I am totally at a loss to understand what the hell you guys are talking about. What muzzle loader uses brass? Is this a BPCR gun? Is this an inline gun and does it use a piece of brass with a primer to initiate fire in the gun?

It uses a short brass case with a LRMP for an ignition source.

https://www.remington.com/rifles/muz...e-muzzleloader
Old 02-17-2018, 06:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by rafsob
I am totally at a loss to understand what the hell you guys are talking about. What muzzle loader uses brass? .................
I modified one of the breech plugs for my Omega X7 to use .25 ACP brass instead of a 209 primer. Very clean burning and no crud ring with Triple Seven and small pistol primers.