Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Winter Shooting

Old 02-09-2018, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Winter Shooting

Nothing special, just had to post some photo, because of all the whining happening here on this forum........

These Omega rifles were happy to go out, and shoot.

We went up to 4700' yesterday, and up to 4900' today. Both rifles shot the same load. Both were out in cold cold temperatures; 2° today, 9°, yesterday. Load was 250g XTP, 90 grain Blackhorn, black crush rib sabot, W209 primer. Both rifles started with a clean barrel. Me, i wasn't out in the cold long; shot from inside the truck with one elbow on the window ledge, and the other in the steering wheel.

The scoped Omega did the 200 yard shooting in light variable wind for awhile. However in the middle of the shooting the wind became steady from right to left, for three shots, then went back to being variable. The three holes left of center were punched during the steady breeze. The six shots right of center were made during a variable breeze.

The rifle with the iron sights did the 98 yard shooting. What i learned the most these past two days, is, it is very much easier to see the target in a snow storm if one is using a scope sight. It was very very difficult for me to see the target this morning when sighting with the iron sight.

Well, have to quit now; need to go shovel the driveway again, again.

_
Old 02-09-2018, 02:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ron, your picture is in the book of common phrases next to the definition of "diehard shooter".
Old 02-09-2018, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Van, thanks for the nomination! Just so you know, i may not have shot this morning, if i hadn't read all the whining in the other thread. It very well may be the only reason i shot this morning, was so i could say i did.....

However, it is also true, there is not much else i would rather do than shoot guns. It is also true i didn't in any way suffer, except when i carried the target back to truck without remembering the gloves i used to carry the target frame out.

_
Old 02-09-2018, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Hey Van, thanks for the nomination! Just so you know, i may not have shot this morning, if i hadn't read all the whining in the other thread. It very well may be the only reason i shot this morning, was so i could say i did.....
_
Must be nice to just drive out of town, roll the vehicle window down and shoot a few rounds.

Do that anywhere in this state and you'll end up with a very expensive ticket, lose the rifle and if the CO, Sherriff, or State is in a bad mood, even your vehicle will be impounded. Plan on a court date....
Only exception to the rule: You must be permanently disabled and go through the gauntlet of getting a permit.

Here, if you have a firearm (not to include CCW) anyplace in or on a vehicle, loaded or unloaded, and that means even leaning against the tailgate, door, fender or any part of, and not completely secured within a case, its an expensive ticket. Plan on a court date...
Old 02-09-2018, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

A ccw is good to have anywhere. Lots of government land surrounding is also good. Shooting an AR from inside a vehicle is not good. We don't have fresh eggs here; no chickens allowed in town. Grandma had chickens right in downtown Billings; never hurt anybody. Gee, i miss fresh eggs. At least we have fresh venison meat.

Yes, i feel blessed being able to shoot guns out a few mile from home. Sure despise them slobs that leave their targets when they finish. Some even staple their targets to live trees and even shoot live trees. Have hauled a lot of target backers home from the mountains, because the slobs leave their trash. With freedom comes abuse.

Wonder what is worse, freedom that allows slobs, or laws that confine. Probably the laws are worse, because the slobs don't follow law anyway. Perhaps folks that follow the law, don't need law in the first place? Well meaning folks want law, not realizing they only violate good folks freedom. Slobs don't respect freedom, and other folks. Slobs don't follow regulation.

Wish we still had fresh oranges, and good apples here, like when we were kids. When the company sent us to Arizona it was wonderful to purchase oranges from road side stands. Guess we will count the blessings we have.

_
Old 02-10-2018, 03:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Yes, i feel blessed being able to shoot guns out a few mile from home. Sure despise them slobs that leave their targets when they finish. Some even staple their targets to live trees and even shoot live trees. Have hauled a lot of target backers home from the mountains, because the slobs leave their trash. With freedom comes abuse.

Wonder what is worse, freedom that allows slobs, or laws that confine. Probably the laws are worse, because the slobs don't follow law anyway. Perhaps folks that follow the law, don't need law in the first place? Well meaning folks want law, not realizing they only violate good folks freedom. Slobs don't respect freedom, and other folks. Slobs don't follow regulation.....
_
Not much Government land around here. The State has a few ranges, tightly controlled and are 100yd ranges. They'll ticket you for practicing when not on one of the designated ranges. Laws are certainly different, state by state.

SLOBS...... they're everywhere. I'm extremely fortunate to live 25-30 miles from the only public 600yd range in the state. Its deep in the cedar swamp and away from the clubhouse, so there are many slobs. Because its the only public 600yd range, its leased to law enforcement each summer. Want to talk about SLOBS! They tear everything up, never pick up cases, shoot shotguns on the rifle range with buckshot, which tears the heck out of the backstops. Law enforcement includes, Sherriff and State swat teams, along with State FBI agents. They leave it a total mess. Not even law enforcement follows the rules.

Last time I cleaned the range, I took the wife's JD Gator up and we took load after load to the big dumpster, over 5 hours of work.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Frustrating to live on the same planet as slobs........

Retired as i am; my job, self assigned, is to clean up after slobs. Haven't hated any job i ever had, as much as i hate cleaning up after slobs, but it is necessary, or copycat slobs will copy.

Keep the faith.

_