Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Well its time for another pellet....i guess >

Well its time for another pellet....i guess

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Well its time for another pellet....i guess

Old 01-08-2018, 10:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Well its time for another pellet....i guess

They have been mentioned a couple times but now they are listed on the Hodgdon website. The NEW Triple7 Firestar pellet. Not sure how new it really is (chemically) without a SDS to compare. Its currently not working.

https://www.hodgdon.com/triple-seven-firestar-pellets/

Cleaner Burning – More shots between cleaning
Higher Velocity – Gain up to 50 FPS
More Efficient – Longitudinal grooves provide more surface area for ignition

A quick search for pricing is $22-30/60 pellets. Just as a reference BlueMZ pellets are $19/48, Whitehots are $24/72 and the Firestars are $22/60 at Grafs. $29/100 for the original T7 pellets so they dont appear to be terribly out of line in price.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Does cleaner burning mean no more crud-ring?
Old 01-08-2018, 08:49 PM
Typical Buck

I have what may be a stupid question. My understanding is that pellets are designed to burn from inside out. Just how will those grooves give more surface area for burn? I'm not the physics and geometry wiz the old man was so go slow.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Just what America needs-another muzzleloader pellet.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

APP/Shockey has a round pellet now too. Either they found a way around the patent or it ran out.

Actually the newer APP ROUND pellet sounds more interesting than the Firestar if its just a reshaped T7 pellet.

BTW it should be noted that it takes 3 Firestar pellets to equal 100gr of loose. I was made aware of that after the price comparison. If it takes 3 then its a VERY expensive propellant.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 01-09-2018 at 06:20 AM.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:55 AM
Typical Buck

Wouldn't the new convoluted shape create more free-air space within the combustion area of the rifle? I always thought that packed tight was better??
Old 01-09-2018, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Until you, or we, or they, actually shoot the pellet, anything you write is pure speculation is it not?

_
Old 01-09-2018, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by IAhuntr
Wouldn't the new convoluted shape create more free-air space within the combustion area of the rifle? I always thought that packed tight was better??
Even regular T7 pellets leave some room for air. How these new pellets perform is yet to be determined, until someone starts using them.
As far as packed tight, you don't pack pellets like you do loose propellant. Others (not me) have determined that anything over 40#fpf will crack or crush pellets, which then can increase barrel pressures. It is recommended to seat the sabot/bullet securely on the pellets.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:22 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
Even regular T7 pellets leave some room for air. How these new pellets perform is yet to be determined, until someone starts using them.
As far as packed tight, you don't pack pellets like you do loose propellant. Others (not me) have determined that anything over 40#fpf will crack or crush pellets, which then can increase barrel pressures. It is recommended to seat the sabot/bullet securely on the pellets.
Yeah, I understand all of that and yes, I know how to properly load pellets, but I'm asking how more free air space can create more f.p.s. than the regular pellets. I would think that under the principle of gunpowder combustion, more dead space would result in a less powerful charge.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by IAhuntr
Yeah, I understand all of that and yes, I know how to properly load pellets, but I'm asking how more free air space can create more f.p.s. than the regular pellets. I would think that under the principle of gunpowder combustion, more dead space would result in a less powerful charge.
50fps is very slight at best and its affect will likely have no affect for most shooters who use pellets. The possibility may be with their claim of it burning cleaner.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.