Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
300 grain vs 250 grain bullet >

300 grain vs 250 grain bullet

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

300 grain vs 250 grain bullet

Old 10-30-2017, 06:44 AM
Typical Buck

Default 300 grain vs 250 grain bullet

I always use a 300 xtp but I sight in at 50 yards I’d like to go to 100yards sight in with my inlines May take some longer shots do you guys like 250 grain xtp or deep curls for longer distance thanks ed
Old 10-30-2017, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Me, i would prefer to use the 300 grain XTP for long range rather than the 250 grain bullets. My rifle is sighted in for 100 yard, and i memorize the drops out further e.g. 150 yd 5" ■ 175 yard 10" ■ 200 yard 15"

_
Old 10-30-2017, 07:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by stripercrazy
I always use a 300 xtp but I sight in at 50 yards I’d like to go to 100yards sight in with my inlines May take some longer shots do you guys like 250 grain xtp or deep curls for longer distance thanks ed
Personally, and this is just me, I would really prefer the Deep Curls to the XTP's if you can get them. The Deep Curls are bonded and resist separation much better the than most any Hornady.

A long time ago I did a several test shooting trips. I would shoot various bullets into a wet soil water bar and then collect the results.

Often, but not always the XTP would strip itself out of the copper and often the lead would break up also once ejected from the copper. These were really a torture test for the bullets and really not like shooting an animal but it did indicate to me which bullet(s) might survive a more difficult shot. At that time I was concerned about shooting elk during the rut.

I also should say, I was driving them harder than the normal pistol would shoot them. I also tried both versions of the 300 XTP. Both would tend to separate at the velocity I was shooting.

This picture shows the results of one such test...

Deep Curls or Gold Dots as they were originally called, survived these tests very well.

After all what I have shown - I still believe the XTP is the most widely used bullets in a ML by the American hunter - just not for me.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:18 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by stripercrazy
Using data from BH209 website (120gr Max loads), out to 150 yards you will not be able to tell any difference in trajectory with a 100 yds zero between a 250 or 300gr bullet - both have just over 4" of drop.
Although the 250 starts out faster, the heavier 300 catches up with the 250gr at 150yds with both having a speed at 1600fps. BUT, the heavier 300gr has over 1700 ft-lbs energy vs the lighter 250gr at 1400 ft-lbs. Both will do the job, so it really will depend on which gives you the best accuracy and confidence.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:19 PM
Typical Buck

thanks for the replys, i've been buying the deep curls 250 and 300grains....i'm going to shoot them and see what i can do