Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

cleaning

Old 09-01-2017, 09:06 PM
Fork Horn

My vote for cleaning ANY balckpowder rifle/pistol is a steam cleaner, The power of steam cleaning is absolutely amazing! Pedersoli sells a steam cleaner that is really expensive, but does nothing more than a cheap handheld unit, (they have a few youtube videos on it) but steam is steam! So why pay for Pedersoli? I am looking at getting a little bigger more efficient unit like the McCulloch MC1275 Heavy-Duty Steam Cleaner

https://youtu.be/zMJkDmsf3j8

https://youtu.be/kYSj92UasZU
Old 09-02-2017, 10:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Before leaving the range i swab the muzzleloader bore with a patch wet with Windex Multi-Purpose Cleaner (Formerly Windex With Vinegar). The slightly acidic Windex neutralizes the residue from black powder and the substitutes, except for BH 209.

At home the bore is swabbed dry. Then bore is swabbed again with a patch moist with the same Windex followed by dry patches. The breech plug, if any, is sprayed with Windex Multi-Purpose Cleaner and the crud removed with a toothbrush.

If the gun will be stored short term i swab the bore with a patch wet with a good light oil. A gun stored long term will have the bore swabbed with a patch and Militec 1.

Takes me 15-20 minutes to clean up a muzzleloader.