Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
CVA Wolf and Stag Horn >

CVA Wolf and Stag Horn

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Wolf and Stag Horn

Old 08-27-2017, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator

Default CVA Wolf and Stag Horn

Well, I picked up two muzzleloaders yesterday. A CVA Wolf and Stag Horn.

The wolf appears to be brand new.

The staghorn isn't quite as clean but is still in very good shape.

From what I can tell the Wolf is 209 Primer.

The Stag Horn I believe is #11 Caps.

I'm pretty new to muzzleloading. I'll be picking up some supplies later this week and hopefully will start shooting them next week.

Excited for this.

I got drawn for a Special Draw Muzzleloader hunt in Ohio on January 28th. The area is a waterfowl preserve. Supposed to be really good hunting. So, it was time to get a muzzleloader and start playing with them.

-Jake
Old 08-27-2017, 11:58 PM
Super Moderator

Looking online it looks like the staghorn could be either #11 or 209. How can I tell what it is? I can post a picture of it later if that would help.

-Jake
Old 08-28-2017, 03:33 AM
Spike

A 209 primer fits into a hole roughly 1/4" diameter at the rear of the breech plug. A #11 cap with fit on an appendage or nipple at the back of the plug. Open the Wolf and look at the breech plug. Then do the same with the Staghorn to see if its the same or if there's a nipple instead of the primer pocket.

I just checked and the Staghorn uses the #11 caps. This gun should be used with blackpowder or Pyrodex, maybe triple 7 granulated powder, not the BH209 powder. The action design is wrong for the BH209. Your Wolf will handle the BH209 nicely if you buy the conversion plug from CVA or Western Powder and this is the powder I'd recommend you shoot.

Last edited by ctom; 08-28-2017 at 03:42 AM.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

There are two CVA Stag Horn rifles.

1. The older rifle has a two piece barrel/receiver. Do not exceed 100 grains of BP or Pyrodex in this gun.

2. The newer CVA Stag Horn has a one piece barrel and receiver. It is good for 150 grains of BP or Pyrodex.

3. There are two breech plugs for those rifles. One breech plug is for 209 primers. The other breech plug accepts #11 or musket cap nipples.

Do not attempt to use BH 209 powder in those guns.

Both breech plugs are shown here:

https://www.midwayusa.com/black-powd...s/br?cid=23209

Last edited by falcon; 08-28-2017 at 05:00 AM.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:15 AM
Fork Horn

Good info above! I'm not familiar with the staghorn, but I own a Optima V2 rifle (and Pistol). The rifle has the same barrel as your wolf rifle.
My rifle likes 90gr. volume BH209 a 300gr. .452 XTP bullet/harvester crushrib sabot and Winchester W209 primer. I get one inch groups out to 100yds. some say the smooth harvester sabot is even better. I have not tried them so not going there yet.
That load should get you on paper an be a good hunting load for deer.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:27 AM
Typical Buck

I have the CVA Wolf and I love hunting with it. I shoot 110gr. of BlackHorn 209 measured not weighed with a 250gr. Barnes T-EZ bullet with the factory sabot and it shots extremely well. The Barnes is expensive for plinking, but deadly on deer. I took my first bear with this set up and he was shot at 60yds. and only rolled a few yards after the shot. Good luck with both of those guns.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator

The staghorn is definitely #11

Will be picking up supplies next week and hopefully get to shoot them both next weekend..

Good info so far, thanks!

-Jake
Old 08-31-2017, 05:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would tell you to buy a PA muzzleloader tag to come up to the cabin for the early season but you would also need an anterless tag or a DMAP tag. We'll be there.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I would tell you to buy a PA muzzleloader tag to come up to the cabin for the early season but you would also need an anterless tag or a DMAP tag. We'll be there.
My wife is currently in nursing school, so I'm going to take her out both saturdays in Indiana county to try to get her a doe. She won't have much time to get out in rifle season due to classes and finals. But hopefully we can get her one in the early muzzleloader season.

Thanks for the invite though. Will you be up there all week? I may be able to come by for a bit mid week.

-Jake