Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Question for Starters >

Question for Starters

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Question for Starters

Old 08-06-2017, 09:26 AM
Spike

Default Question for Starters

I was wondering where I can go to find out what Muzzle loader is right for me?
Old 08-06-2017, 10:56 AM
Banned

try www.muzzle-loaders.com

You can also start here with your state rules/regulations/ your height/weight. That would help us size a rifle for you.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:17 AM
Typical Buck

If he is in Georgia, as long as it loads from the muzzle and .44cal min, there are no other restrictions. So now you need to make the decision of what type of muzzleloader you wish to get in to. Sidelock- flintlock or percussion, inline- bolt or break open action, what kind of stock you prefer and what will fit you as a shooter, open sights, peep, or scoped, you can even go smokeless powder and have a nice rifle built. The muzzleloader world has really opened up over the past 20 years with many types and qualities of rifles out there.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:54 AM
Spike

I believe here in the state of Georgia you have black powder firearms shipped to your front door.
But down to what type muzzleloader I want, I guess inline rifle that's scoped, and wooden stock would be nice.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd check for a gun shop near you that carries muzzleloaders so you can see what fits you.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:13 PM
Spike

The only place that might have muzzleloaders is a Bass-Pro shop near where I live.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, they have them. Go check it out.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:22 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
try www.muzzle-loaders.com

You can also start here with your state rules/regulations/ your height/weight. That would help us size a rifle for you.
I'm 5'10 and weigh 190 pounds.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:33 PM
Typical Buck

Like archery, weight really doesn't matter much as far as fit of a stock. Arm length and hand size is what is key to stock fitting. Then you have neck length, distance from your cheek to your dominant eye for proper comb height. Lots of things that get pretty technical for perfect fit. Most hunters tend to fit themselves to the rifle rather than the rifle to them which isn't really a good thing. If I were you, I'd go to that bass pro shop and hold as many rifles as you can find to see what fits you comfortably then go from there. A properly fitted rifle won't beat the hell out of you so much at the range as an improperly fit rifle. Less beating equates to more practice which is always best.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:18 PM
Typical Buck

Hunters_life made some pretty good points.

I'll add that you should probably start with a good 50x209 inline. You probably can't go wrong with anything from one of the major manufacturers like T/C, CVA, and Traditions. Find the one that fits you and your preferences.

Also, don't necessarily go for one just because it has the "magnum 150 grain charge" capacity. Unless you're after really big game or are going to shoot at longer ranges, I don't think 150 grains of powder is necessary.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.