Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Lehigh Defense working on tipped ML bullets >

Lehigh Defense working on tipped ML bullets

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lehigh Defense working on tipped ML bullets

Old 05-28-2017, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
I'd like to see them shot with 100-110gr bh209. 120gr eats up the can of powder to darn fast.

I like those bullets though. Steel tip or aluminum?
The tips are aluminum. By the way I believe your rod is done, I should get it this week.
Old 05-28-2017, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
That is some amazing groups there. And I am sure if that bullet came out of Leigh it will perform very well on game. But that is really pushing a bullet Grouse. What do you suspect/think the velocity of that round is? That has to be well into center fire type of velocities with (as many tend to forget) a much larger diameter bullet to begin with.
Far from CF velocities, but I know what you mean. I posted muzzle and 100 yard velocities
Old 05-28-2017, 05:42 PM
Typical Buck

Well, the bullet is accurate. No doubts there. At least for you and at those speeds. I'm still dubious about terminal performance. I went back through some posts, a lot of them, and found where Ronlaughlin tested some of those Lehighs that were tipped with the polymer tips and the terminal performance was spotty at best. Even saw a couple of bullets that the man could have loaded back in his rifle and shot them again. I hope I am wrong here because they look to be a fantastically accurate bullet which is much needed in the front stuffers world. Just not that many really good high ballistic coefficient bullets out there for us smoke pole shooters. The ones that are have pretty horrible terminal performance. It would be a breath of fresh air to have a high performance bullet that will also have high terminal performance.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Grouse45
The tips are aluminum. By the way I believe your rod is done, I should get it this week.
Awesome Tom, I look forward to using it! I need some range time with my pistol but hate using the wooden rod.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good info Grouse, thanks

Originally Posted by hunters_life
Well, the bullet is accurate. No doubts there. At least for you and at those speeds. I'm still dubious about terminal performance. I went back through some posts, a lot of them, and found where Ronlaughlin tested some of those Lehighs that were tipped with the polymer tips and the terminal performance was spotty at best. Even saw a couple of bullets that the man could have loaded back in his rifle and shot them again. I hope I am wrong here because they look to be a fantastically accurate bullet which is much needed in the front stuffers world. Just not that many really good high ballistic coefficient bullets out there for us smoke pole shooters. The ones that are have pretty horrible terminal performance. It would be a breath of fresh air to have a high performance bullet that will also have high terminal performance.
Well they certainly fit that bill without the tips, but as you stated time will tell if they can make them with tips that keep the terminal performance at high level. For me personally, I'm not so much worried about the tips... they are very accurate for me without them even using only 100gr BH. At distances up to my current max for hunting (200) I really don't need a huge improvement in BC. Certainly would be nice if/when they do get it all ironed out.

Will be interested in seeing Ron's testing on the tipped version.