Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

O.T.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Lil'Gun actually.
My go-to powder in my Savage M-40 .22 Hornet (a gun you could shoot regardless of your medical condition).

Old 05-17-2017, 03:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
That's why I dumped the wife and never tried that again.
I guess you never found a Godly woman Pete. I wouldn't give mine up for nothing. We sure do have our occasional bouts but going on 44 years we've just about seen it all.
As for you Barnes I hope your issues are resolved and you're back to shootin real soon. I'll keep you in my prayers. And I'm sure your wife will find enough to keep you occupied until you're able to shoot again.
Old 05-17-2017, 04:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll get through these issues, it'll just take longer than I'd prefer. Those youngins out there need to take better care of themselves, maybe a little better than us old farts did.
Seems when we have more time to do the things we've dreamed about, the chances of more going wrong seem to increase. Time, isn't always a thing which we have a lot of left either. A real good example is, take a tape measure and run it out to 78", the average life span in America. Then put your other hand on your age. Awakening!

Semisane that's good shoot'n there with that Hornet. I'll bet that's a fun round to shoot.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
Tempting, yes sir it is. I'd probably go 1:18 though and that may just happen at some point. Sometimes you just have to build them "One piece at a time".

Sitting around gives a guy too much time to think. Another problem the "little woman" says I have. Debating on rather to have pillars added and bed this McMillan, or just purchase a new HS Precision stock. Other than certainly a different color, I've got two in mind.
https://www.hsprecision.com/shop2/ri...-stock-psc023/
https://www.hsprecision.com/shop2/ri...-stock-psc027/

Might as well go complete from the bottom up custom. New rules will be coming out for the Nationals, where BOTH the Ultimate Inc. and Remington Ultimate will be considered custom rifles. So a change of barrel/cal. and a new stock should be all I need.

Our mother passed on March 3rd and while down below helping clean the estate, I somehow injured a knee. I put it off hoping it would heal and it didn't. Doc says its a severely torn meniscus. An MRI is scheduled next week, then he'll have an idea what and how bad. After seeing the doc, he put me on an anti-inflammatory medication. That medication is well known for causing bleeding problems, and unfortunately I ended up being one of those people. One morning I felt that I had to blow my nose and when I did so, it erupted in blood. I've seen a number of broken noses, never have I seen one bleed like this. Pouring into the kitchen sink. The wife grabbed a jumbo roll of paper towel and a plastic bag and off to the ER we went. Used all but 3 sheets of that jumbo. Long story shorter, I continue to have random daily nose bleeds, which fortunately I'm able to stop by myself. However I did have to go back to ER a second time. I guess its a simple procedure to electro cauterize it. Docs all say that its way to dangerous for me to be shooting until the electro cauterization. Of course, the "little woman" will keep it that way.

Mom always used to say, "When they tell you its the Golden Years, they just don't tell you its Fool's Gold". She was right. Heck, she was always right.
I was gonna say 1/18 if you strictly went sabotless. The 1/20 will allow you to shoot both sabots and sabotless. But if you just want to compete i would go 1/18 sabotless for sure. I did a lot of shooting with a 1/18 twist Knight. Just wasnt good for sabots.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
I was gonna say 1/18 if you strictly went sabotless. The 1/20 will allow you to shoot both sabots and sabotless. But if you just want to compete i would go 1/18 sabotless for sure. I did a lot of shooting with a 1/18 twist Knight. Just wasnt good for sabots.
IF..... I make a final decision, it'll most definitely be a Jeff Hankins creation. There's no better in the business IMO.
Before I make any final decision, I will wait for the defined rules from the NMLRA .... first!
Old 05-17-2017, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
IF..... I make a final decision, it'll most definitely be a Jeff Hankins creation. There's no better in the business IMO.
Im not sure about that, and you could be right?? I would talk to Jeff to. I favor Jeff only for the fact he's a proven shooter and knows what it takes to build a ML to compete/win. I disagree with both on those modules or whatever there called. I own three ML'S with those in them. I would take a good removable vent any day over those if i was competing at the range.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Im not sure about that, and you could be right?? I would talk to Jeff to. I favor Jeff only for the fact he's a proven shooter and knows what it takes to build a ML to compete/win. I disagree with both on those modules or whatever there called. I own three ML'S with those in them. I would take a good removable vent any day over those if i was competing at the range.
Yup, Jeff is a good shooter, no one can question that.

A shooter I know with both builder's rifles and experience with both, states Hankens hands down. I don't know Jeff Hankins, but everyone that does know him states, you won't find a better builder. The modules that Hankins uses never leak. After watching those modules being used, its as easy as loading a cartridge. No leaking breech plugs or modules, it doesn't get any better.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:57 PM
Typical Buck

BarnesAddict, I have had zero problems so far with that smokeless one from Mr. Hankins and those modules certainly are easy to load. Not had a FTF yet either. Over the past couple of weekends I have fired off around 75 rounds through it. The barrel dad ordered is a 1:20 twist and I can certainly tell you that that sucker is accurate as can be with the 300 grain Noslers on top of 68 grains 4198. I didn't get the chronograph out this past weekend since the wind was up a good bit. Watched the old man nail a $250.00 one 1 time shooting in windy conditions and I would rather not repeat that embarrassment nor the words that flowed out of him when he spotted the thing laying over. Suffice it to say, woops, was not one of the words. But at 300 yards I am pretty much centering our 16 inch gong and while I am a fairly decent shot, I am by no means as good as the old man was. That says a lot for the rifle itself. I am sure you guys know more about these rifles than I do but I can definitely say that this particular rig has really impressed me. So much so I might just have to have one built for the little sister. Little stock and a 24 inch barrel would fit her like a glove. I do want to try out some .40 caliber bullets saboted in this thing though. Does Lehigh make any of those controlled fracturing in .40 caliber? I can use this thing in Tennessee when we go down there with them. Just can't use them here in Illinois with the .44 caliber minimum size restriction.
Old 05-17-2017, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hunters_life
BarnesAddict, I have had zero problems so far with that smokeless one from Mr. Hankins and those modules certainly are easy to load. Not had a FTF yet either. Over the past couple of weekends I have fired off around 75 rounds through it. The barrel dad ordered is a 1:20 twist and I can certainly tell you that that sucker is accurate as can be with the 300 grain Noslers on top of 68 grains 4198. I didn't get the chronograph out this past weekend since the wind was up a good bit. Watched the old man nail a $250.00 one 1 time shooting in windy conditions and I would rather not repeat that embarrassment nor the words that flowed out of him when he spotted the thing laying over. Suffice it to say, woops, was not one of the words. But at 300 yards I am pretty much centering our 16 inch gong and while I am a fairly decent shot, I am by no means as good as the old man was. That says a lot for the rifle itself. I am sure you guys know more about these rifles than I do but I can definitely say that this particular rig has really impressed me. So much so I might just have to have one built for the little sister. Little stock and a 24 inch barrel would fit her like a glove. I do want to try out some .40 caliber bullets saboted in this thing though. Does Lehigh make any of those controlled fracturing in .40 caliber? I can use this thing in Tennessee when we go down there with them. Just can't use them here in Illinois with the .44 caliber minimum size restriction.

I think his conversions come with 25 modules, but I would definitely want more, as I'll easily shoot 50+ rounds per session, which is normally an all day event. I'm really leaning towards converting for more constant consistency. I'm working on 66 years young and running out of excuses. LOL
Old 05-17-2017, 08:05 PM
Typical Buck

You could order another 25 or you could get a hand primer/deprimer and prime modules while you wait for the barrel to cool off. 6 of one, half dozen of the other. They make pretty good hand tools nowadays and set a primer very accurately and consistently. Just a suggestion. I don't think those modules are cheap by a long shot. While yes I make very good money, I also have young twins whose grocery bill alone would near settle the national deficit so I try to save every nickel I can. College isn't cheap and 11 years isn't a long time to save. Very smart but like most boys they have the attention spans of a gnat on caffeine so I am sure not going to depend on scholarships. I just turned 50 myself and 16 years of football is quickly catching up to me so I totally understand your pain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.