Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
need  more   knock  down >

need more knock down

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

need more knock down

Old 08-14-2017, 11:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Lemoyne, you are correct. Unless you are talking about something a lot bigger than a hunting round bullets do not knock animals off their feet. Perhaps in the movies they do. What the people making the movies don't know is that if the bullet lifted a person off their feet or knocked them over the shooter would also go down because for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. If you hit an animal in the right place it will get real sick and fall down, sudden loss of blood pressure, severed spine etc. Knock down power is a term we shouldn't use but most people do.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

.....if the bullet lifted a person off their feet or knocked them over the shooter would also go down because for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction......
The reason this statement isn't true, is because the rifle has so very much more mass than the bullet, thus the 'equal' reaction has a way way more energy going to the bullet.......and.......actually the shooter isn't much a part of the reaction between the bullet, and the victim.

The equal, and opposite reaction is between the shooter/rifle, and the bullet/burnt powder. This is why there is recoil. Luckily for us shooters, the bullet gets a way more energy than the shooter, or we would suffer too much damage to get off a second shot, maybe ever.

___
Old 08-14-2017, 01:15 PM
Typical Buck

Yes that is a common mistake that has been proliferated by that show Myth Busters. Any mass with speed has more energy on impact. You don't actually think you are on the receiving end of 11,000ft#'s of energy when you shoot a .50 BMG do you? If you were, well, it would only be once. Look at the slow motion films of deer getting hit by a 12 gauge slug from around 70 yards out. Damn near folds the deer in half. And if you are wearing body armor, getting hit by a 12 gauge slug will damn sure knock you off your feet as well as break some ribs.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Lemoyne, you are correct. Unless you are talking about something a lot bigger than a hunting round bullets do not knock animals off their feet. Perhaps in the movies they do. What the people making the movies don't know is that if the bullet lifted a person off their feet or knocked them over the shooter would also go down because for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. If you hit an animal in the right place it will get real sick and fall down, sudden loss of blood pressure, severed spine etc. Knock down power is a term we shouldn't use but most people do.

I have absolutely knocked animals off their feet. I have seen it many times. Not Hollywood throw them a dozen feet. But DRT Bang flop. Done it many times.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would consider this buck as "Knocked Down - Bang Flop"

When I shot him he sprung directly up off the ground and came down limp and dead - no movement at all

Old 08-14-2017, 07:14 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah the Hollywood crap is just that, crap. But there is nowhere near the energy at the stock end of a shot as there is on the muzzle end. If that were the case, anyone shooting a rifle would be dead. Yes there is the initial mass put into motion recoil but there are a couple of more factors that are put into play. Speed is an energy multiplier.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
............... Any time I take a shot, I am going to give it my best to see if it was a wound or a miss. These days, I normally have someone filming, so that makes reviewing the shot even easier now............
A wound or a miss? WTH?
Old 08-15-2017, 05:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

About one hour after meeting him, i watched MountainDevil54 drill a 175-200 pound sow through the center of the heart. After hunting several days with MD54 i can attest to the fact that he is a good hunter.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

MD, why would you want to hunt with someone who talks to you the way he did and calls you a liar. I wouldn't hunt with him if he paid the freight for me! Using pictures posted is a ridiculous barometer to judge if someone has killed game. While I post pictures, I haven't posted pictures of all the game I killed because as many times as I remember the camera, I forget to put it in my backpack. This thread is about someone believing they need a better projectile to take big game, not about who is or is not what they say they are in the hunting world.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:51 AM
Banned

I was a little surprised by all this due to the fact I simply stated that shoulder shots waste good meat. If it could do that much damage to the shoulder, clearly, it would work on a lung shot and save a lot of meat. That was just my view anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.