Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

scopes

Old 03-04-2017, 03:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default scopes

While there is no doubt it may have been discussed before and most likely more times than once. But, I have a CVA Wolf inline that I was using this past fall after our rifle season had ended. I had sighted it in just prior to our hunting season. Well on the first Friday of our season I had a chance to try it out on a huge buck up here. Wouldn't you know it I missed.. Not once but 3 frigging times.. ( bow my head down ) I went back to the camp all discouraged at myself and decided to try it out on a target there. I used an old sheet of plywood to put the target on.. The damn thing shot around 2 feet to the right and 2 feet high.. It was shooting dead on just prior to the season.. So I kept trying to sight it in but to no avail. So I am in need of a new scope for it. What are some of the low end scopes that will take the recoil off from this rifle? I am open to most any ideas as I want to cure this problem..
Old 03-04-2017, 04:08 PM
Dominant Buck

By low end that is a loaded question. I have a number of rifles with a simple Simmons Pro Diamond 4x32mm. The scope cost under $30.00. In fact on Knight LK 93 rifle of mine sports a Simmons Pro Sport that is a 2.5x20mm and that was $19.95. Now granted they are not top of the line scopes. But they are tough as nails. I would hate to think how many rounds I have put under them and they never lost true zero yet.

But a good low end scope you can not go wrong with is a Nikon Pro Staff (for muzzle loaders) in a 2-7x32mm. Excellent clarity, easy to move powers, very functional, and they don't come better made IMO.

I have a Nikon Pro Staff on a White Rifle that I shoot 460-500 grain conical bullets out of. And it has taken all that punishment and more. Where I hunt shots are close. So if I can shoot out to 100 yards I am all set. Any of them scopes, even the Simmons will do that.
Old 03-04-2017, 04:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have the Simmons Pro-Diamond 4X on four muzzloaders, one of which has well over 1,000 shots out of it with some pretty stiff loads and heavy bullets. I've yet to have a failure with them. Like Cayugad, I paid around $30 for the oldest ones and around $40 for the last one. They are now in the mid-$50 range. https://www.amazon.com/Simmons-ProHu...ons+prodiamond

I find them to be clear, sharp and bright with no fuzz or blur around the perimeter of the sight circle. As for magnification, a 4X is just dandy for hunting and quite satisfactory for target work out to 200 yards.

Last edited by Semisane; 03-04-2017 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 04:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Another thought Phil. Before you throw that scope away double check the attachment of the mounts to the barrel. No scope will work correctly if those are loose.
Old 03-04-2017, 04:55 PM
Fork Horn

I've had redfield on my my muzzle loader and also slug gun for years. They hold their zero. They aren't the brightest but they do well. I think I paid 140 for the redfield I last bought.

Not sure of the scope you gave on there now but it may have some wArranty. You never know.

Last edited by BRUSE; 03-04-2017 at 04:59 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 05:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

I might be interested in the redfield or something in that range. I just do not want another scope that is not going to handle the be no good when you need it the most.. I am also open to what Semisane has posted..
Old 03-05-2017, 08:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

My choice of scopes for my MLs is 1. The Leupold Ultimate Slam, 2. Nikon Prostaff and 3. A shotgun scope (I like the Bushnells with the reticle inside a circle and in the 1-4x range)
Old 03-08-2017, 01:49 PM
Spike

this year, on my knight I used a Nikon buck masters 4-12x40 then I put a Nikon slug hunter on it but I haven't shot it yet, I've had a Nikon prostaff on my .300 winmag and I've used that same scope on my 870 20ga shotgun. All within the 150 range I think the slug hunter was 180 and the prostaff was 150 and the buckmaster was around the 120. I would like to try a luepold out one of these days though.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

The Simmons Pro-Diamond scope is a good muzzleloader scope. It's on two of my guns.

My Encore wears the excellent 4X Zeiss Conquest scope: It's no longer being made. That scope has stood up to a couple thousand rounds of heavy loads.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks again everyone..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.