Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Idiots at USPS (Little off topic) >

Idiots at USPS (Little off topic)

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Idiots at USPS (Little off topic)

Old 03-04-2017, 06:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Semisane
I may be able to remedy that soon. It's getting to be about time for my friendly roofer to be sending me a "get the lead out" text. He does that when his bin of old roof jacks gets full.
I miss them too. And now with the new addition to the arsenal I have more to cast.
At the PO I usually only get asked if there is anything dangerous in the package (hazardous, flamable, perishable etc)
As for your idiot Lynn I think it is a case of today's slang terminology. Most people today use the word bullet to refer to the cartridge/ammunition rather than the projectile.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:12 AM
Dominant Buck

The post office lady asked me the last time I was in there shipping a rifle, "What is in the box?" I told her its a metal pipe that fits into a wooden jig. And that's how it hangs there. She smiled and told me .... $15.25

I never tell them anymore when I ship a rifle. It just creates too many questions and arguments. I too went around with the "postmistress" (as I called her) about shipping a muzzleloader. I even offered to down load the law proving its legal, print it out, and bring it to her for her future reference. Well she still refused and so I had to take it over to UPS. And when I complained to the United States Postal Service ... they didn't do a thing.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:28 PM
Fork Horn

I had the same problem with the local UPS Store then I started shipping UPS through the local Ace Hardware Store until they got a new female person to ship items. I gave up on shipping with UPS.

I also had the same problem with the local USPS until the manager actually looked up the law and shipped out the muzzleloader.

I picked up a GM .45 barrel today shipped to me from Indiana (insured) USPS and had to sign, show ID, and give my address before I could take it home.

Don't get me started on illegals voting without an ID!!!
Old 03-04-2017, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can see the idiots furring up about a rifle. Even a ML to the uninitiated will just be "a gun" to them. But bullets?

And toy, it was more likely that you having to go through all that ID stuff was because the package was insured more than it was likely because of anything else. I have to go through that mess with anything insured that I pick up at a UPS store.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

You can order the USPS flat rate boxes online. They will send them to your home for free. Box stuff up at home and dont tell them squat at the PO.

https://store.usps.com/store/browse/...-rate-shipping
Old 03-07-2017, 04:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
The post office lady asked me the last time I was in there shipping a rifle, "What is in the box?" I told her its a metal pipe that fits into a wooden jig. .
Dave, I've seen you post this before and a year or so ago I had someone ask me the same question and I used your response. I'm sure it went right over their head. But it worked beautifully.

I never volunteer to ever tell someone what is in the box but I'm not going to lie if they ask. This gets me out of that tight spot

The really sad thing is that our politicians which make the laws, know about as much as your experiences with the post office. I work and live in a city now and it's just painful if any conversation comes up about guns.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure why you would mention what your shipping anyway?? Its not there business in my opinion.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:11 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Boy this small box is rather heavy...what's in the box?
Sinkers. Used for game fishing.

OK

Old 03-07-2017, 07:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

When i ship USPS there are just a couple questions on a keypad. Things like explosives and flammables ect. Sometimes they just ask those questions.

I don't tell them anything else. At the most i say metal part samples and there is nothing on the prohibited item list.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 03-07-2017 at 08:02 AM.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:54 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Shipping small boxes I use the automated USPS system.
Asks you questions on a screen.
I'm never ever shipping anything illegal and never will.
But the automated system takes the interactive human decision out.
Paste on the self stick mailing label. Pay for your purchase with CC. And in the mail slot the box goes.
Only downfall is box size. Don't think a broken down muzzle loader would fit in the drop box.
So think about trying the 24 hr automated shipping/ mailing kiosk at your USE office.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.