Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Tipped Bloodline

Old 02-28-2017, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Tipped Bloodline

Tom sent six of these bullet with the added tip to test. It is a 40 caliber bloodline, and with the tip weighs 203 grain. First test was to shoot at paper using 50 grain of Blackhorn powder. Target was at 25 yard. Aim was the low blue tape. Two shots were taken.

Obviously the bullet doesn't get along with my rifle, or perhaps the rifle/scope is messed up. After seeing the target, i wasn't very confident about shooting through the carpet, plywood, and water jugs. However, since i was there, i went ahead, and loaded 50 grain Blackhorn, a bullet, and set up to shoot the jugs at 25 yard.

The bullet went through three jugs, barely cut the edge of the fourth, and went away. There is no evidence it fractured. The video show the front jug still held water as it lay there on the ground with minimal damage, after the bullet went through. There was no sign of slits on the back side indicating flying petals. Normally the front jug is shredded; this is the first time i can recall it still holding water afterwards. There was no evidence of flying petals through the second jug either.

The target shot earlier made me wonder if my rifle/scope was messed up, so i shot three 200 grain shockwave, at the target placed at 101 yard. Load was 115 grain Blackhorn, W209 primer, Harvester sabot. The 45 Omega with the old 4X scope shoots OK.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Ron, Thats probably why we never did anything with those tips and i couldnt remember so thats why i sent them to you. You need a faster twist especially with those tips on. Thats probably why the accuracy was so bad. But like ive always said, if they dont pass your 50grn test i wont use them. Thanks for all your help.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:48 PM
Fork Horn

Can you shoot the other 3 with the tips off?
Old 02-28-2017, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BuckDoeHunter
Can you shoot the other 3 with the tips off?
That's already been done and worked perfect.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:28 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Grouse45
That's already been done and worked perfect.
I was referring to Ron to see if accuracy was any better.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was referring to Ron to see if accuracy was any better.
Im not positive, but i dont think he has a fast twist 45.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:13 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Im not positive, but i dont think he has a fast twist 45.
How about the same load as the 200gr shockwave but use the bloodline with no tip. I'm curious about accuracy in a 45 that is not a fast twist.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

How about the same load as the 200gr shockwave but use the bloodline with no tip. I'm curious about accuracy in a 45 that is not a fast twist.
I shoot them all the time from my Knight DISC which is only a 1-30 twist. They shoot great. The real difference is that I am shooting them with 120 grains of T7. The increase in velocity will stabilize the bullet. What Ron is trying to depict is - what will the bullet performance be at lower velocities. (Ron correct this if I am wrong)

This is the first target I could find it is only a 40 yard target but it shows the grouping of the Lehigh 40x200

Old 03-01-2017, 09:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

This is the ballistic sheet for the Lehigh