Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
First Shoot of 2017 & a New Rifle >

First Shoot of 2017 & a New Rifle

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

First Shoot of 2017 & a New Rifle

Old 01-21-2017, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kinda doubt a lapping compound would embed well into a brass bullet. At least not well enough to do the job. Too hard a bullet and you will get inconsistent lapping. You will want a bullet with a good bit of bearing surface. If that Barnes Expander was wheel weight lead it would actually be PERFECT. After around 20-25 ML barrels lapped and I don't know how many CF rifle barrels, I kinda have it down pretty good. Best lapping compound I have used so far is Clover Lapping Compound. Get the "Fine" grit, I think it's CL.1A 320 grit. You can find it at pretty much any Mechanic Supply (never tried Auto Zone but I don't consider them Mechanic supply). It has seemed to do the absolute best job for me. After I fire lap I will run a 100-150 strokes of JB just to mirror the finish. I've brought several rifles back from the dead doing this. Some were on the brink of becoming fence posts!
Old 01-21-2017, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

If he's gonna shoot sabots the crown is good enough. In my opinion, I like rough bores. It allows less sabot slippage in the bore. If he's going to shoot bore size bullets it might need some work yet.