Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
CVA Accura MR QR Breech Plug Project >

CVA Accura MR QR Breech Plug Project

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Accura MR QR Breech Plug Project

Old 11-28-2016, 08:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Grouse45
My MR is very dirty, and in testing i had delays after a lot of shots. I know its because of leakage and shims would fix it. But i dont like shims and i think Lehigh will make a much better reliable plug in the end. But it will take some time and it wont be for everyone thats for sure. If you have no problems and are happy you wont need one.
Grouse you're saying you had delays after a lot of shots? And I assume you were using BH209. From what I understand, no matter what BP you're using you will get carbon build-up in the flash hole and it must be removed by hand with a small drill bit. Some recommend this after as little as 10 shots.
Now unless you plan on designing a self cleaning BP (an impossibility) I don't see any advantage.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Grouse you're saying you had delays after a lot of shots? And I assume you were using BH209. From what I understand, no matter what BP you're using you will get carbon build-up in the flash hole and it must be removed by hand with a small drill bit. Some recommend this after as little as 10 shots.
Now unless you plan on designing a self cleaning BP (an impossibility) I don't see any advantage.
what you are saying is true. but a properly designed plug you wouldnt need to clean it at all. Im being sarcastic but its true. The original Lehigh plugs that were designed by members on this board can shoot hundreds of shots without cleaning and not have misfires or delays.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bronko, you will find you get far less carbon build up in the flash channel if you have a good primer seal AND avoid mag primers. I can shoot my Knights and my NULA all day and never need to clean the flash channel. Over 95% of my shots have been with a plain old Win209 and nearly 100% with a standard CCI in the NULA.

Never had a single hang fire, delay or fail to fire ever even after 40 shots. I don't even bother cleaning my NULA plug after a range session. There is almost no carbon in it when i do.

Better internal geometry helps a great deal too and a 1/8 flash channel is not quite ideal. 5/32 has shown to work better in my plugs. All three from different manufacturers. The Savage plug was one of the plugs used to develop BH209 and you guessed it....its a 5/32 flash channel. My Lehighs and NULA are also 5/32.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 11-28-2016 at 08:57 AM.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:20 AM
Banned

W209 primers are not mag primers and produce a horrible hard crusty glass like carbon build up, including in the knight I had a while back.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

So you had a Knight with a Lehigh bare primer conversion and basically zero blowby?

Or are you talking about something totally different as usual to get your point across?

Last edited by Gm54-120; 11-28-2016 at 01:36 PM.