Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
OT - Be Careful Out There >

OT - Be Careful Out There

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

OT - Be Careful Out There

Old 11-08-2016, 01:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default OT - Be Careful Out There

Old 11-08-2016, 02:56 PM
Dominant Buck

Wow! Just flipping off of a four wheeler is dangerous enough.
Old 11-08-2016, 03:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

We do use a 4 wheeler very often to pull animals up and/or out of the woods. We have developed a system that ties to the front of the four wheeler hooking to the front frame. from there the strap passes under the four wheeler and through an eye attached to the rear of the for wheeler.

As you are dragging or pulling the pressure of the load pulls down on the front of the four wheeler. The strap running underneath pulls up against the skid plates and through the rear eye attached to the rear tow bar. The keeps the strap inline with the body of the 4 wheeler and will not allow it to get under or in the tires when turning.

This picture shows the rear of the 4 wheeler with the eye hanging down. The tow strap passes through the eye very little pull pressure is put on the eye...

This has proved pretty handy for us...

Last edited by sabotloader; 11-10-2016 at 08:53 AM.
Old 11-08-2016, 03:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sorry to see anything like that happen. Talk about going from a high to a low in a heartbeat. I like Sabotloader's idea a lot. I'll have to remember that.
Old 11-08-2016, 04:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Great tip Sabotloader. Thanks for the picture.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just saw this very thing in Outdoor Life's this happened to me section.

I too love the idea that Sabotloader posted. Quite ingenious.
Old 11-09-2016, 04:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Never thought about a 4 wheeler unsetting backwards. Great innovation sabotloader.
Old 11-09-2016, 07:32 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by sabotloader
We do use a 4 wheeler very often to pull animals up and/or out of the woods. We have developed a system that ties to the front of the four wheeler hooking to the front frame. from there the strap passes under the four wheeler and through an eye attached to the rear of the for wheeler.

As you are dragging or pulling the pressure of the load pulls down on the front of the four wheeler. The strap running underneath pulls up against the skid plates and through the rear eye attached to the rear tow bar. The keeps the strap inline with the body of the 4 wheeler and will not allow it to get under or in the tires when turning.

This picture shows the rear of the 4 wheeler with the eye hanging down. The two strap passes through the eye very little pull pressure is put on the eye...

This has proved pretty handy for us...
That's brilliant!
Old 11-10-2016, 03:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Poor guy, that is a bad day for sure.

We haul deer out quite often with 4wheelers. But they ain't no Elk!
We do often throw the deer on the front rack and strap em down. Pretty easy for an ATV to flip over backwards with alot of weight on the back in the mountains we hunt in.

Great idea SL! If I ever kill something that has any real weight to it, I'll remember that!
Old 11-10-2016, 09:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
Poor guy, that is a bad day for sure.

We haul deer out quite often with 4wheelers. But they ain't no Elk!
We do often throw the deer on the front rack and strap em down. Pretty easy for an ATV to flip over backwards with alot of weight on the back in the mountains we hunt in.

Great idea SL! If I ever kill something that has any real weight to it, I'll remember that!
With deer we do the same thing - place it on the front rack. And since I am loading the four wheeler in and out of a pickup up a ramp - the weight on the front ramp is really important.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.