Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Got A Buck Last Evening >

Got A Buck Last Evening

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Got A Buck Last Evening

Old 10-27-2016, 06:45 AM
Dominant Buck

Congratulations on a nice buck. That sure is a nice rifle with that wood stock. Was that an early Black Diamond or perhaps the stock off a Woods rifle to a Black Diamond? My Black Diamond XR likes that same bullet and 100 grains of Pyrodex RS with a #11 cap. Just great shooting guns.
Old 10-27-2016, 07:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Was that an early Black Diamond

It is an early rifle. Early Black Diamonds have a shorter barrel than the Black Diamond XR model.

Just great shooting guns.

Yes, they are very good shooters. At 100 yards my gun is capable of better accuracy than many, if not most, center fire rifles.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:06 AM
Typical Buck

Congratulations on a nice buck and good recovery!
Old 10-27-2016, 11:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by falcon
It is an early rifle. Early Black Diamonds have a shorter barrel than the Black Diamond XR model.
Congrats falcon! Those Black Diamond rifles look remarkably similar to my Firehawks...

BPS
Old 10-28-2016, 04:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks, everyone.

Those Black Diamond rifles look remarkably similar to my Firehawks...

There is only one major difference; the Black Diamond has a breech plug, the Firehawk does not.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by falcon
i won't hesitate to use the SST again. That bullet has killed many deer and hogs for me.
+1 on that!!! I use the 225grn in my 50 Knight over T7 and a Harvester Sabot. Have yet to find one projectile. All have gone completely thru. I use that same projectile in my .460 Smith
Old 10-30-2016, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a bit of a problem twice from the SST's blowing up on close range shoulder shots on hogs. BUT, in all fairness, I load pretty dang hot and with a 28" barrel I get some pretty sporty MV out of my MLer. It takes a dang tough bullet to stand up to my speeds at under 20 yards on shoulder bone. I had the same problem with them from my 7mm-08 on whitetail as well. It's why I switched to Interbonds and Interlocks. The SST's always flew exceptionally well and I never had problems with accuracy from them but I tend to get close with all my rifles so I have to use a pretty tough bullet.
Old 11-02-2016, 01:54 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats!!
Old 11-03-2016, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
I had a bit of a problem twice from the SST's blowing up on close range shoulder shots on hogs. BUT, in all fairness, I load pretty dang hot and with a 28" barrel I get some pretty sporty MV out of my MLer. It takes a dang tough bullet to stand up to my speeds at under 20 yards on shoulder bone. I had the same problem with them from my 7mm-08 on whitetail as well. It's why I switched to Interbonds and Interlocks. The SST's always flew exceptionally well and I never had problems with accuracy from them but I tend to get close with all my rifles so I have to use a pretty tough bullet.
I use the 225 SST or FlexTip on the 460. I took a buck 2 yrs ago with it that I shot at 60yds almost facing me. I shot him on the right side of the brisket and came out the center of his off side ribs. Stood him up like the Busch commercial Stallion, threw his head all the way back and flopped down on his right side. Never to twitch, kick or move again. Opened him up later and found out that I blew 5 inches of brisket out and found bone frag's in his right shoulder area!!! Hydraulic distention from his shoulder to nearly his hip on exit side!! EVERYTHING in his upper chest area poured out when I opened him. No knife work up there needed!!!! Still came out with a hole as big as my thumb. I guess his brisket really opened that Felx-Tip up. Pushing that 225grn round in the 2175fps area with an 8-3/8ths barrel over Rel15 powder or H110.