HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Black Diamond T C with Blackhorn 209 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/407995-black-diamond-t-c-blackhorn-209-a.html)

Hook 08-01-2016 07:08 AM

Black Diamond T C with Blackhorn 209

I bought Blackhorn 209 propellant. The container says that an open breech plug is not compatible. The Black Diamond appears to have an open breech plug. I called T C no help they say it is not recommended. I have left a message with Blackhorn ...no response ...yet. ANYONE OUT THERE USE BLACKHORN 209 IN A T C BLACK DIAMOND?

Jenks 08-01-2016 07:28 AM

My son has a Black Diomond and likes it. He does not use Blackhorn 209 so I can not help you out there.

super_hunt54 08-01-2016 08:14 AM

The open ports on the TC BD plug dictate you do NOT want to use BH 209 powder. You may end up pulling a spent primer out of your face. Every BD I've seen are dirty girls with lots of blow back. A lot of folks switched to #11 M cap. and pyro RS and they say it seriously cleaned up the blow back problems. I seem to remember one of our members, cayugad, did just that. Again, unless you find a closed plug to put in that rifle, do NOT use BH 209.

cayugad 08-01-2016 02:52 PM

I have a Black Diamond XR. I personally tested BlackHorn 209 in it. I was aware of the warning but did it anyway. And I can tell you, the warning given is very true. I warn you, I did the Black Horn test and ended up digging the center of a 209 primer out of my forehead, above my eye brow. It only took once to make me realize, that the rifle is NOT made for that powder.

I realized I wear shooting glasses and ear protection. But think if that projectile had went just a little lower, and I was not wearing glasses.

I fired off I think it was three shots .... no problem. Fourth shot is when it got me. And you'd never believe how silly I felt, looking in the bathroom mirror with a needle and needle nose pliers digging that thing out.

super_hunt54 08-01-2016 03:09 PM

Ahhh experience can be one MEAN teacher can't it cayu!!

cayugad 08-02-2016 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by super_hunt54 (Post 4267484)
Ahhh experience can be one MEAN teacher can't it cayu!!

Yes in deed! I have never shot the powder in an open breech rifle since. In fact that was why I purchased a Disc rifle and an Optima so I could continue some of the testing I wanted to do. And anytime I read of someone with an open breech rifle shooting the powder, I always warn them of my experiences.

Hook 08-02-2016 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by cayugad (Post 4267554)
Yes in deed! I have never shot the powder in an open breech rifle since. In fact that was why I purchased a Disc rifle and an Optima so I could continue some of the testing I wanted to do. And anytime I read of someone with an open breech rifle shooting the powder, I always warn them of my experiences.

. Thanks guys for the good advice.....looks like a new ML soon....

zmason1002 08-02-2016 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Hook (Post 4267423)
I bought Blackhorn 209 propellant. The container says that an open breech plug is not compatible. The Black Diamond appears to have an open breech plug. I called T C no help they say it is not recommended. I have left a message with Blackhorn ...no response ...yet. ANYONE OUT THERE USE BLACKHORN 209 IN A T C BLACK DIAMOND?

Wasn't that your answer you was looking for?? TC said them selves it wasn't recommended. I would say TC was a help, just not the answer you was wanting

Hook 08-03-2016 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by zmason1002 (Post 4267640)
Wasn't that your answer you was looking for?? TC said them selves it wasn't recommended. I would say TC was a help, just not the answer you was wanting

No, that was not the answer I was looking for. I was hoping they would say. "We have a modification for the Black Diamond that will allow the use of BH 209". Thanks again guys for your positive feedback.