Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
The Search for a great Back Pack >

The Search for a great Back Pack

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The Search for a great Back Pack

Old 06-11-2016, 01:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default The Search for a great Back Pack

Back in September I started my normal semi-annual hunt for a backpack that I really could live with for Long Term use.
Not to fear I have a bunch of back packs - that I basically use a 'Day Pack'. It seems I buy something new every couple of years in search of "The Pack"

My use of the back pack really hinges around hunting in Idaho, northern Idaho, during our hunting seasons that stretch from September to the middle of December. To complicate things a little bit - I am OLD! In fact back several years ago when I was teaching American History, I once had a student ask me if I was here when the dinosaurs were!

Well, back to pertinent stuff... I am a muzzleloader hunter. I hunt regular rifle season with a ML as well the ML seasons. Because I choose to hunt Elk in December, I purchase an Idaho 'A' Tag which gives me an automatic ML Elk season, but I am locked out of the regular Elk rifle season. At my age I can not hunt what most would call the better elk spots any longer and I am no longer in search of the Trophy - the December season works very well for me.

During the early season I do spend a lot of days in the woods hunting for the really nice Whitetails that we have here but in actuality I am really hunting for Elk sign and animals and if I see a nice buck so-be-it. But I much prefer seeing Elk even though I can not shoot.

With all of the above information my pack or the pack that I need needs to carry a lot of items. Sure there will be basic survival items but more importantly it will have all the things I need to process an animal after I shoot. Deer are not such a problem but having an Elk laying on the ground does require more tools for me. So I carry most everything I might need to process the animal - WITHOUT - having to go back to the truck to pick up things and return.

It, the pack, also must contain all the ML tools and supplies that I might need in the 'What IF' events that can happen. I know I carry far more than I need but 'WHAT IF'.

The 'Pack' - must be able to carry all of these items in an organized and convenient manner. And also of important is comfort for long days of walking. After doing a lot of research I decided on the 'Spike Camp'. Initially my first thought was the 'Nomad'

I looked at it and was determined that would be the next pack.
But with a little more research, I decided that the 'Spike Camps' could/should be a much better day pack for my use.
It arrived late last month....

At this point I am really impressed with the quality of the pack and the comport of the fit. Fit and comfort - that brings another good point - these are not ONE pack FITS all. You supply Kifaru with some basic body information and pack is customized to your body type.

I have not been able to do much with the pack yet because I have had the WORK. So basically all I have done is add the two pouches that were ordered to the waist belt.
These are what the pouches look like...

I put the two I received on the waist belt as shown in the picture below... These two will serve really well for ML loads and small tools while the other will be stock with hunt items - calls - scope covers - and other small items.

Kifaru also provided placed on the sides of the pack that pouches can be attached. At this point I am thinking I might get at least one more external pouch, but I want to wait until I actually get to put hunting equipment into the pack.

Another nice thought is the internal storage in the pack. The underside of the lid offers a zip closed storage pouch as well a another pouch high on the back inside the pack. There is also an internal storage area that extends from the top to the bottom of the pack. This storage has ample room for many different items. The main room in the pouch also extends from the top of the pack all the way to the bottom. And with that this is the only thing on the pack I would change for myself. I really wish the main internal store area of the pack had a bottom that separated it from the zippered entrance near the bottom of the pocket. This would provide two separate storage areas instead of one big one with two access points. And at this point that is the only downside that I have currently found.

This picture try to show the internal structure of the pack.

As time moves along and I am really able to work with the pack I will add more information...

But right now today I really like what I have got....
Old 06-11-2016, 02:13 PM
Dominant Buck

That looks like a nice pack. I like all the compartments! Does it have a place for water? I found that to be real necessary. Otherwise you have to pack a canteen. (which I did for years)

Many years ago I had a wonderful back pack I used when I lived overseas in Europe. Being the constant traveler, i liked it because I could separate things into compartments. Also my small tent and sleeping bag tied to it. But most of all, once on I would pack it up and take long hikes into some pretty interesting places. When I returned home. a nephew saw it, needed it, borrowed it, and of course never returned it. He later denied borrowing it even. Needless to say he was never loaned anything again.
Old 06-11-2016, 03:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by cayugad
That looks like a nice pack. I like all the compartments! Does it have a place for water? I found that to be real necessary. Otherwise you have to pack a canteen. (which I did for years)
It does... I didn't think to mention that. But it does have a hose port for a internal water bladder. I had to go look to verify that but it is there.

Many years ago I had a wonderful back pack I used when I lived overseas in Europe. Being the constant traveler, i liked it because I could separate things into compartments.

I totally agree with the compartment thought. That is why I am a bit disappointed that the bottom portion of the pack is not a separate compartment of its own... but I am developing a plan for that.

One thing that adds to the versatility and compartmentalization are the various add on pockets and accessories that Kifaru offers for the pack. I have looked very at them yet until I really get to set the pack up for me.

Also my small tent and sleeping bag tied to it. But most of all, once on I would pack it up and take long hikes into some pretty interesting places. When I returned home. a nephew saw it, needed it, borrowed it, and of course never returned it. He later denied borrowing it even. Needless to say he was never loaned anything again.

The pack is listed as a 2400 c.i.in size and with all the extra straps and points of attachment you really could go with the sleeping bag and small shelter.

I was at one time thinking of order the rifle attachment but backed off because I was not sure I would use it in my hunting situations. When we get where we are going by vehicle and step out of the truck we are really ready to hunt.
Old 06-12-2016, 02:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I don't hunt Elk here so don't need to process it out in the field. But I do travel a long ways on foot to get to some of my favorite stands. I have a nice Jan's sport with frame I stuff my hunting clothing into along with a pair of hip waders so I can cross one deep creek, carry a flat plastic sled for sliding the deer once down.
I used it once on a hiking camping vacation with my daughter's family. Plenty of room for small dome tent, extra clothing and some dry meals. It has all kinds of straps for carrying sleeping bags and mats. Also has so small pockets I carry snacks in mostly.

Just picked up a back pack for varmint hunting. Carry's the call and extra SD cards in small pockets for the caller too.

Your pack looks like it should do every thing you want it to and that is what is most important it does the job.

Al
Old 06-21-2016, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my experience and opinion, how the pack carries the weight is far more important than how many pockets or cool compartments.

I've had bigger packs that have carried much more comfortably than smaller one. The key for me is a good, wide waist strap and a solid back to the pack. It keeps the weight higher up on your back and not sliding down toward your tail.

Backpacks are key for where we hunt. ATVs are not allowed so we hike several miles back in every morning and evening. Having a good backpack makes a big difference.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:43 PM
Spike

I have this pack ( eberlestock Just One)
http://www.eberlestock.com/J34%20Just%20One.htm

That kifaru is nice looking but i have seen their prices and they are out of my budget for sure , so i have to make do with a less expensive brand . Eberlestock fills the bill for me .if i ever strike it rich i eould get a Kifaru