Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Knight Mountaineer questions >

Knight Mountaineer questions

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight Mountaineer questions

Old 07-11-2016, 03:36 PM
Spike

I gave up on calling after I didn't receive any phone calls back or no answers. I measured the primer crush as requested for the aftermarket BP. I do have a .002 primer crush stock. which according to them it should be enough for a clean primer but it isn't. So I'm assuming I need a little more crush but the shims you mentioned are in .005 increments. Which would put a .007 crush on the primer. Is that to much do you think or should I order some shims and try it? I want to make sure I get the right amount of primer crush for a clean seal before I order a BP.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by zmason1002
I gave up on calling after I didn't receive any phone calls back or no answers. I measured the primer crush as requested for the aftermarket BP. I do have a .002 primer crush stock. which according to them it should be enough for a clean primer but it isn't. So I'm assuming I need a little more crush but the shims you mentioned are in .005 increments. Which would put a .007 crush on the primer. Is that to much do you think or should I order some shims and try it? I want to make sure I get the right amount of primer crush for a clean seal before I order a BP.

Whom or where did you get the aftermarket plug? Guess I am trying to figure out for sure which plug you have.

I would say that I think .007 crush would be to much.

Which primer are you currently using?

If you are using W209's then then - really you could just change to shorter primer like the regular CCI - 209 - not the CCI-209A mag primer.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:40 PM
Spike

I haven't bought the plug yet because I would like to get mine sealed up before I give specs. The BP I'm looking at ordering is the one that Gm54-120 has mentioned from Lehigh. According to how I'm supposed to measure for proper seal they say I need a .002 primer crush. I already have that with my bp but its still dirty.

From your instruction, the bolt doesn't drop and I have to apply pressure to get it to close all the way which it should be close to 0 head space. Do you think when I'm shooting it I'm not getting the bolt all the way closed?
Old 07-12-2016, 07:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by zmason1002
I haven't bought the plug yet because I would like to get mine sealed up before I give specs. The BP I'm looking at ordering is the one that Gm54-120 has mentioned from Lehigh. According to how I'm supposed to measure for proper seal they say I need a .002 primer crush. I already have that with my bp but its still dirty.

From your instruction, the bolt doesn't drop and I have to apply pressure to get it to close all the way which it should be close to 0 head space. Do you think when I'm shooting it I'm not getting the bolt all the way closed?

By all rights if you are getting a crush on the primer you really should not be getting blowback back on to the sides of the primer.

Your primers should come out looking much like these...

When you were testing for 'crush' had you removed the hammer assembly and just used the bare bolt housing?
Old 07-12-2016, 12:05 PM
Spike

yes, I was using a bare bolt. I removed the firing pin assy. Is it possible when I was shooting before I wasn't getting the bolt all the way down? I'm pretty sure I put pressure to make sure the bolt was locked but maybe not?
Old 07-12-2016, 12:07 PM
Spike

I don't have any of my spent primers but after the 5th shot they are sticking in the bolt and I don't believe they are clean from what I can remember also there is soot on the bolt and on the stock by the bolt. I'm going to be busy the next few weeks so I'm not sure when I'll get to test again.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

A .007 crush on a Win209 would be nearly ideal if you switch out to a Fed209A. The Feds are around .002-.003 shorter on average.

Mine has a .005 crush on the Win209s now with the Bestill plug. The Feds and CCIs appear to get enough crush now too.

Before i was getting about .003 with the Win209s and no crush with the Feds. I was shooting top end loads and the Win209s came out fine 99% of the time. The Feds would stick almost every time but not really dirty. As best as i could measure they had no crush but a zero headspace.

When you measure primers you need to pick a minimum of 3 that are all within .0005 of each other. Turn the primer slightly while measuring to get a better average length.

Follow Bestills measurement requirements 3 times. If you do it 5 times throw out the high and low then average the remaining 3.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:00 PM
Spike

I done it twice and I got the same measurement both times, I'll do it again a few times and see what I come up with.