Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Caldwell The 7 Rest Heads up >

Caldwell The 7 Rest Heads up

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Caldwell The 7 Rest Heads up

Old 03-12-2016, 01:09 PM
Banned

Default Caldwell The 7 Rest Heads up

I picked this up at gander mountain in Amarilla TX. I figured for $30 it would be an upgrade over the bags I am (Caldwell) that are busting at the seams ( second bag set to do this) and boy, was I wrong!

There is ZERO precision adjustment with this rest, when you squeeze the trigger and the rifle recoils, the rest folds up on you. Once you reload, you then have to go through the front and rear rest and adjust them, after EACH shot. Then you shoulder the rifle and find you still have to make adjustments because its off target now that you sat down and shouldered the rifle.

This is NOT a good rest. I think its by far, the worst product caldwell has ever put their name on PERIOD.

I'd send it back but it would cost me almost as much in shipping than what I paid.

Looks like the search for a halfway decent rest is underway.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

You are removing your sling swivels, correct? Those things can tear up a bag on the first round.
I use the Caldwell Rock front rest and guess what? First time I used it I'd forgotten to remove my sling stud. 10 minutes of sewing and then removing the studs completely solved the problem. I use a Protektor rear rest when I use a rear. Hundreds of 180gr loads sent and they're still holding up.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:57 PM
Banned

My bags are busting open on the sides of the bag, not the top. I actually don't have sling swivels on any of my muzzle loaders now than I think of it. They are built in ( round cva molded plastic type) and I remove the sling before shooting. 98% of the time I am using my sidelocks on them. The rear bag that goes under the stock was the first to pop a 3/4" hole in the stitching and that too was on the side.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
My bags are busting open on the sides of the bag, not the top. I actually don't have sling swivels on any of my muzzle loaders now than I think of it. They are built in ( round cva molded plastic type) and I remove the sling before shooting. 98% of the time I am using my sidelocks on them. The rear bag that goes under the stock was the first to pop a 3/4" hole in the stitching and that too was on the side.
Get one of the rabbit ear Protektor rear bags. Leather and it will out last you.
Amazon Amazon

Even a front leather.
Amazon Amazon

Get rid of the mice
Old 03-12-2016, 02:09 PM
Banned

I may give those a try.

No meeces in this house!
Old 03-12-2016, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
I may give those a try.

No meeces in this house!
I treat mine with mink oil. I'd suggest treating them if you purchase them before shooting. Soften 'em up.
Old 03-12-2016, 03:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Jon just a thought but...what it you ran that bolt on the pivot through a piece of 3/4" plywood and then clamped the plywood to the bench? It may be worth a shot..(pun!!)
Old 03-14-2016, 03:24 PM
Fork Horn

I bought one of those when they first came out. It was ok at best for taking a a few shots. Every shot bounces it way back.
Old 03-14-2016, 03:40 PM
Banned

We tried it yesterday with a scoped muzzy. What a hunk of junk! I honestly think I could hold the rifle steadier using shooting sticks lol. You couldnt put a good cheek weld either otherwise the stock would start to slide deeper into the rear V section of the rest.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:41 AM
Dominant Buck

I have used them and can't get the same steady as with a 2 bag setup. When I use the rests like caldwell I can't seem to get comfortable.