HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Spotting scope question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/405207-spotting-scope-question.html)

kidoggy 03-10-2016 04:17 AM

hmm. I have a KNIGHT .50 BUT I never even considered shooting at distances over 100 yards. not saying it can't be done. my eyes simply are not good enough to shoot open sights beyond that range, so I never considered doing it. scopes are not legal here on smokepoles.

BarnesAddict 03-10-2016 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by kidoggy (Post 4249173)
hmm. I have a KNIGHT .50 BUT I never even considered shooting at distances over 100 yards. not saying it can't be done. my eyes simply are not good enough to shoot open sights beyond that range, so I never considered doing it. scopes are not legal here on smokepoles.

Your Knight is very capable of long range shooting. Guys are shooting Knight rifles 500yds very accurately. I don't think there's an in-line made today that isn't a 200yd plus capable rifle.

I feel for you guys out west, where they have those absurd rules preventing the use of scopes, etc. But, rules are rules.

kidoggy 03-10-2016 05:07 AM

yeah ,I don't like it but it is what it is.

Muley Hunter 03-10-2016 05:59 AM

You don't have any stores you can test some of them? Second choice is buy from Cabelas. Easy return for exchange/refund with no questions asked.

BarnesAddict 03-10-2016 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter (Post 4249193)
You don't have any stores you can test some of them? Second choice is buy from Cabelas. Easy return for exchange/refund with no questions asked.

I'm over 2 hours from any store that has any kind of inventory and then its select. Don't really buy much from Cabela's any more, besides almost anyone online will beat their retail prices. The CFO hates it when I purchase something then return it and then buy something else like it. Its a records thing for the CFO.

That's what makes these forums nice, is asking others for their experiences with a product.

Muley Hunter 03-10-2016 07:19 AM

CFO? Wife?

Topgun 3006 03-10-2016 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter (Post 4249210)
CFO? Wife?

Yes, I think CFO is referring to the lady of the house and it sounds like she's the one wearing the pants, LOL!

BarnesAddict 03-10-2016 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006 (Post 4249217)
Yes, I think CFO is referring to the lady of the house and it sounds like she's the one wearing the pants, LOL!

Yup, "the little woman" is the CFO Chief Financial Officer :biggrin:

BarnesAddict 03-11-2016 11:21 AM

Well somehow a Viper Vortex HD, 20-60x80 ended up following me home today ;)

Looked over a lot of spotting scopes, milled around, he hawed, kicked a few cans, made a couple phone calls, then finally decided to spring for it. One of the managers knows me and gave me a great discount. Glad that decision is over...

lemoyne 03-12-2016 05:12 AM

I hope you like it as well as I like mine, I looked at a lot of them before I pick mine out.