Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Shooting an Older White and the New Lehigh 40x215 >

Shooting an Older White and the New Lehigh 40x215

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shooting an Older White and the New Lehigh 40x215

Old 02-17-2016, 03:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Shooting an Older White and the New Lehigh 40x215

Today was going to be an "IFFY" day for shooting but the next two days the predictions were even worse - SOoooo I picked up the Whitetail and headed for the pit. When I left here it was just starting dribble a little bit - I was headed east so I was hoping to outrun the moisture...

Got to the Pit got everything set-up for the first part of the shoot. Placed 9 birds, I started down there with 10 but dropped one on the basalt pit run rock and well you know, so I got the remaining 9 set-up for the first round of the planned shoot.

By the time I walked back to the truck - it started - not real bad at first - but it was only working it's way to what was coming. I was committed now so I got the rifle out and decided to make the most of the shoot - which meant shot after shot. Popped my ritual 3 caps and loaded the first shot - I am always a bit concerned about that first shot because I do not clear the bore other than the fouling caps. But it was raining so the first shot was going to be shot seeking a target - no sweat!

I have not shot this gun in ages... so there was some concern there also. I have never shot these new Lehigh's from this rifle and I was a bit concerned about that for two reasons. The high BC of these bullets (.330) might lead to them being higher at 100 yards than I might expect. And the Whitetail only has a 22" barrel - 1/20 twist - but it stabilize the long brass bullet. I decided to take a figure 8+ hold on the birds. In that I mean I set the bird on top of the crosshair + a bit lower. This hold proved to be very good for the entire shoot. A couple of the birds were tucked in behind a small piece of basalt rock - so I really needed to hit near the center or slightly higher on the bird. Again the hold accomplished the need and shatter the birds.

I normally shoot 110 grains in any of my percussion inlines - but again a bit worried or least thought about would I burn than in a 22" barrel. Because of the weight of the bullet and the fit of the sabot+ bullet in the barrel I thought the fast burning T7-3F would get the job done. It seemed to work fine - I know the WHOP!!! at the end of the shot sounded awful powerful + I could see I was breaking rock...

During the shoot I ended up putting a plastic zip lock bag over the muzzle to keep it dry while I prepared for the next shot. Seemed to work very well - no problems with wet powder.

I think I should add - every time I shoot a White I am really impressed with their ability to shoot... I know Doc built these rifle as big concical shooters - but I am telling you he was ahead of his time with the twist rates he was using + the fact that they shoot sabots extremely well.

Here a couple of pics of the shoot... by the time I left things were pretty wet and getting wetter...

White Whitetail .451

Shoot Pics...

Old 02-17-2016, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tough time of year for many of us to shoot. I put the snowshoes on the other day and made it to the berm to hang a target. Stepping down it would feel good, then you'd break through. 100yds of that got the heart pumping and the sweat running.
After the fiasco with the BP and the removal of the scope, it had to be re-zeroed. It didn't take long, but you find out that the rust starts on your shoot'n. Of course the wife wasn't going to stand for me leaving the target up, so back I go to remove it. By the time those trips were made (400yds), I may have well have been shooting in the pouring rain.

Keep shoot'n when you can
Old 02-17-2016, 05:25 PM
Dominant Buck

White Rifles are just a very good rifle. My .451 shoots the 200 grain Shockwaves amazing. And of course conicals are just boring when you shoot them. I never thought of using the brass monkey you were trying. Think of the down range energy that thing has. It would make a heck of a deer wacker.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by cayugad
White Rifles are just a very good rifle. My .451 shoots the 200 grain Shockwaves amazing. And of course conicals are just boring when you shoot them. I never thought of using the brass monkey you were trying. Think of the down range energy that thing has. It would make a heck of a deer wacker.
Dave combined with the velocity and the BC of this bullet I would really agree the energy that it carries down range is really decent for a ML bullet. This is just a basic 100 yard ballistic sheet on that bullet.

Old 02-18-2016, 07:46 AM
Fork Horn

Hard to beat a White rifle!! I'm taking possession of a .451 M97 this Monday for my youngest grandson. I will have to set it up for him and it may go hunting this fall...one never knows!!

I will have a White Bison .50 cal.(.504) for sale by the end of this month if anybody is looking for a classic, deadly accurate rifle. The Bison is basically the same rifle as the Whitetail just with a bull barrel.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:44 AM
Fork Horn

I guess my wish to see all the Lehigh threads finally diminish in 2016, just ain't going to happen.

So much fanfare for a bullet that's way overpriced and hardly sells.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by GoexBlackhorn
I guess my wish to see all the Lehigh threads finally diminish in 2016, just ain't going to happen.

Then why did you even open the thread and post? All you achieved was bumping the thread twice. LOL

As far as price, seems to me they cost less than a PB Plat and most Barnes ML bullets. Even cheaper than a Parker BE or the PR bullets you speak so highly about.

Maybe if sabotloader shot some pine trees with them you would find it more appealing.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 02-18-2016 at 09:04 AM.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:29 AM
Dominant Buck

That is some impressive energy in that bullet. It would lay a thump on anything it hits. Thanks for those numbers.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

One day I am going to have to see about finding a good .45 that will shoot a full bore bullet well for around here (Illinois requires minimum .44 cal bullet). As far as this foul weather goes, it has pretty much kept me off my range as well. I did take the new TC Impact that Grouse sold my daughter the other day for a little spin though with very good results.

Goex, do you work for some competing bullet manufacturer or something? I have been testing a couple of those Lehigh bullets in both my .458 SOCOM (X-Treme Penetrator) as well as some Bloodlines (Made by Lehigh for Knight) and I can find absolutely no truth to your statements about them being an over priced bullet and not worth what is asked for them. My Daughter dropped a Big Bodied whitetail (Dressed at 265) with one of those 220gr Bloodlines over 75gr (I think) T7 loose (either 75 or 85 I don't remember) with dead right there, no tracking results. Can one ask for better results?

The X-Treme P bullet that I loaded for the SOCOM dropped a good number of hogs over the summer. I had let a friend use my SOCOM since I was out of commission for hogging this past year and he reported high praises for not only great accuracy but astounding terminal ballistics of that bullet.

Dave is making huge leaps and bounds in his bullet engineering and it sounds to me like you have a problem with some of us reporting on these improvements. Would you prefer us to not report on quality products on an information forum that is here FOR JUST THAT PURPOSE?
Old 02-18-2016, 11:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by GoexBlackhorn

T7 you hope of the demise of the Lehigh brand name in 2016 is not going to happen. You will not believe what Lehigh has planned for 2016. It could be a really fun ride...

You are correct the Lehigh bullet is more expensive than normal run of the mill production bullets. But if you would look deeper than your wallet and if you were to understand the theory of operation of the bullet, and the results that it has - verified by many users. It is a very good bullet.

The main thing really is not many of think the way you think and if what you works for you why would you do anything different - which is the way it should be.

Also there are a lot more expensive bullets on the market than the Lehigh or the Bloodline. In fact not even close...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.