Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
209 bare primer conversion of Disc Extreme >

209 bare primer conversion of Disc Extreme

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

209 bare primer conversion of Disc Extreme

Old 02-08-2016, 12:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default 209 bare primer conversion of Disc Extreme

Howdy y'all. I had recently won a new disc extreme in a raffle. It's a 50 cal with a .504 bore. I decided that I would convert it over to the bare primer ignition as I had previously done with my .52 disc extreme. However, I did order different style kits. The .52 received a replacement bolt while the .50 would receive the adapter and breech plug. I failed to look at the bolt of the .50 cal until I received the adapter. That's when I realized something was wrong. I researched this issue and saw where several people including SL and cayugad had posted on several forums of issues with knight rifles bolt specs and some fixes. I never found any issues similar to mine. In the pics I posted you will notice the adapter does not go in far enough or nothing to retain the adapter. I thought about milling the bolt but I tend to think it will cause more head spacing issues and the retaining portion for the adapter would still need to be modified. Y'all have any ideas or should I just purchase another bolt assembly and be done with the issue?
Attached Thumbnails 209 bare primer conversion of Disc Extreme-image.jpg  
Old 02-08-2016, 01:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Slowburn
Howdy y'all. I had recently won a new disc extreme in a raffle. It's a 50 cal with a .504 bore. I decided that I would convert it over to the bare primer ignition as I had previously done with my .52 disc extreme. However, I did order different style kits. The .52 received a replacement bolt while the .50 would receive the adapter and breech plug. I failed to look at the bolt of the .50 cal until I received the adapter. That's when I realized something was wrong. I researched this issue and saw where several people including SL and cayugad had posted on several forums of issues with knight rifles bolt specs and some fixes. I never found any issues similar to mine. In the pics I posted you will notice the adapter does not go in far enough or nothing to retain the adapter. I thought about milling the bolt but I tend to think it will cause more head spacing issues and the retaining portion for the adapter would still need to be modified. Y'all have any ideas or should I just purchase another bolt assembly and be done with the issue?
I am not sure where you even found a primer adapter... Is a Knight Adapter or the newer Lehigh/Knight adapter?

Next - take the adapter out and take the same picture of the bolt area you just posted... It almost looks like you have a Western Bolt.

Today there are 3 different bolt handle and housing's - Western, FPJ Style and Mountaineer Style.

I am sure your old 52 came with a FPJ bolt and breech plug - then you purchased a conversion kit which included a Breech Plug and a Primer Adapter to drop into the nose of the FPJ bolt.

If the new DISC Extreme came with a FPJ bolt then the same conversion you have in the 52 will work in the new Extreme.

Knight no longer offers the older style conversion - you end up buying a new bolt housing and a new Breech Plug.

Looking at you picture nothing really looks correct...
Old 02-08-2016, 05:01 PM
Fork Horn

The end of the bolt don't look wright it does not have the lip on the end. maybe western or original bolt.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by a1smokepole
The end of the bolt don't look wright it does not have the lip on the end. maybe western or original bolt.
Original Bolt - forgot about that one....
Old 02-08-2016, 07:45 PM
Fork Horn

I just purchased the current Knight Disc Extreme bare primer conversion kit which consists of a new bolt housing and a new breech plug. You have to remove the firing pin assembly from your old bolt and screw it in the new housing. The breech plug you get is made by Lehigh for Knight and is identical to the one that Knight sold with the previous bolt adapter/bare primer breech plug kit which I had installed in 3 Disc Extremes about 18 months ago. They worked very well; I just wanted to try the new version. The change out just took a few minutes and everything worked until I inserted a Winchester primer in the new bolt and tried to close it to pop the cap and it would not fully close. I realized the primer was not fully seating in the primer pocket and further that you could not eject the primer without a sharp blow to the bolt handle with a rubber hammer. I removed the new breech plug and reinstalled my old one (also a lehigh) and I was able to fully close the bolt and fire the rifle. Knight informed me that a few of the breech plugs they received from Lehign had similar problems and be glad to send me a new one or I could send it to them for repair. All they do is polish it with jeweler's rouge so I offered to fix it my self. I've been using Western Extreme's bore paste on CVS' Safety Baby Cotton swabs to polish the primer pocket. It's already a lot better and another hour it should be fine. IMO the new bolt is easier to place the primer in than the old one.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:40 PM
Fork Horn

I talked to customer service at knight and they are sending me a new bolt housing. I explained that I had purchased the adapter and BP kit (Lehigh/Knight). I didn't realize they had so many different bolt housings. Anyway thank y'all for your assistance.

SB
Old 02-09-2016, 05:58 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Original Bolt - forgot about that one....
Age may have something to do with that sabot. this may help buy one more gun and call me in the morning.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by a1smokepole
this may help buy one more gun and call me in the morning.
Sounds like a perfect prescription to me