Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Breech plug question >

Breech plug question

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Breech plug question

Old 01-31-2016, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Are you sure? My Omega will not go into battery if the breech plug is only backed out 1/4 turn. My Omega puts a slight 'crush' on W209 primer, when the breech plug is totally tight.

Just another unsung advantage of using Blackhorn powder....Even if the threads are totally gunked up with burnt debris, when shooting Blackhorn, the breech plug is still readily removable.
I wouldn't go so far to assume this happens with all breech plugs shooting BH. Ask me how I know this
Old 01-31-2016, 07:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
I wouldn't go so far to assume this happens with all breech plugs shooting BH. Ask me how I know this
You know that episode of yours really does elude me... can not understand why BH would stick yours but shooting T7 pellets does not... I know you and Ken have discussed this and there is a reason but....
Old 01-31-2016, 08:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Are you sure? My Omega will not go into battery if the breech plug is only backed out 1/4 turn. My Omega puts a slight 'crush' on W209 primer, when the breech plug is totally tight.

Just another unsung advantage of using Blackhorn powder....Even if the threads are totally gunked up with burnt debris, when shooting Blackhorn, the breech plug is still readily removable.
Exactly. That's why I always tightened my Omega BP. It always came right out using BH. I never gave it any thought. Tighten it up, back it out. The gun always shot good groups.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
You know that episode of yours really does elude me... can not understand why BH would stick yours but shooting T7 pellets does not... I know you and Ken have discussed this and there is a reason but....
Actually both will cause it to stick. I'm going to start a process of testing soon...

Ken has the opinion that it is somehow related to the nitro involved in BH. Initially he did have it listed in the rifle manuals as an approved propellant but,,,,, breech plugs immediately started needing replacement when the rifles were knowingly shot with BH, so he stopped approving it. My manual actually has it crossed out.
It kind of amazes me too. Western has told me repeatedly that you can't stuff enough BH into a UF rifle or the RU to hurt either.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
Actually both will cause it to stick. I'm going to start a process of testing soon...

Ken has the opinion that it is somehow related to the nitro involved in BH. Initially he did have it listed in the rifle manuals as an approved propellant but,,,,, breech plugs immediately started needing replacement when the rifles were knowingly shot with BH, so he stopped approving it. My manual actually has it crossed out.
It kind of amazes me too. Western has told me repeatedly that you can't stuff enough BH into a UF rifle or the RU to hurt either.
Actually that does help me with my concern and does explain other complications that could be encountered.

From this I also gather that the rifle is not OK'ed for real smokeless powder loads? But I thought it required a FFL?
Old 01-31-2016, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Which rifle Sabot? It has to be because the action can easily be converted to a cartridge rifle. Sorta like the TC Encore type being able to hang a CF on the action. I was also under the impression that some smokeless rated MLers were being made 4473 needed because of the smokeless rating but have been told that it is because of the action itself not the barrel.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Actually that does help me with my concern and does explain other complications that could be encountered.

From this I also gather that the rifle is not OK'ed for real smokeless powder loads? But I thought it required a FFL?
The rifle and the RU require FFL 4473. Its the action that requires it.

The UF or RU are NOT approved for smokeless propellant.

The breech plug will come out, you have to start out that way.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Which rifle Sabot? It has to be because the action can easily be converted to a cartridge rifle. Sorta like the TC Encore type being able to hang a CF on the action. I was also under the impression that some smokeless rated MLers were being made 4473 needed because of the smokeless rating but have been told that it is because of the action itself not the barrel.
That is correct - it matters not about the barrel - but yes on the action!
Old 01-31-2016, 05:19 PM
Fork Horn

I was sure for about 5-6 years that I used 777 powder. I learned early-on to back-off that plug. In those years, I shot magnum 120gr. FFF powder charges, using the original, factory flat-faced breechplug.
My primers used back then were the old Remington 410 primers. I still have several hundred of those left.

That was the only powder that seized my breechplugs. Never had any seizures using Pyrodex, American Pioneer, Goex/Schuetzen or Blackhorn.

Last edited by GoexBlackhorn; 01-31-2016 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

My concern is, myself, i cannot back the plug out even a 1/4 turn, and have the action of the Omega close, and be ready to fire. It won't close, and work, unless the plug is tight. The possibility that backing the plug out 1/2 turn, allows you to shoot the rifle, seems impossible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.