Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Are they a better gun???

Old 01-11-2016, 08:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Anyone else looking at this thread own a T/C speed breech muzzleloader? How has it been for you? I cant see me being just lucky after owning atleast 6 of them.
I used a Triumph and the 'Speed Breech' for a few years and really never had a problem with it. It is truly a 'Quick Release' plug. And for the most part it is a very clean plug. The 'gas rings or compression rings' on the end of the plug are a key. The three rings needs be staggered and they need to be clean when they are installed.

I know a lot of people including Western Powders do not like the length of the plug, but the length of the plug is one of its positives. By increasing the length of the plug TC has also increased the volume of material that can be contained in the 'flash channel' with serves to reduced the amount of 'blow back' pressure felt on the nose of the primer.

The down side of the plug is that you probably do need to use a 'Mag' style primer to reliably ignite BH over and over.

Yet after I modified mine by making the plug 'breath' (for the lack of a better word) regular W209's would and did work with BH very well. As I said I modified two mine by drilling the flash channel out to 5/32", actually a little bigger as I was using a #21 tapping drill. Then I installed a domed Lehigh Vent liner on the nose of the BP. The combination of these two modifications with the larger volume of containment really reduces the pressure on the nose of the primer also allows the bullet to get out of the bore and suck out the pressure. The 'domed' Vent liner also helps reduce the Blow-back pressure by deflecting some of the pressure off to the side of the 'flash hole' and back up the barrel.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Yes you do!!

I said the speed breech by T/C is far superior to the tool less plug by CVA. The T/C plug is faster and BH209 compatible to some. So if im hearing you correctly, after I shoot the CVA plug its all of a sudden going to come out faster?? Please explain what your talking about Ron cause it makes no sense to me at all.

The only comparison ive done between the CVA plug and the T/C plug is speed. And in all ways, the T/C speed breech is superior. We already know the stock CVA plug is not BH209 compatible out of the box. One could argue the T/C is but im not going to. The other test will be cleanliness.

The design of the T/C strike breech plug is superior to all of them to me. I love the design and concept with them. Just not sure how clean till I test it out.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm reading this thread and wondering why would you need to be in such a hurry to remove a breech plug anyway? Speedy removal should not even be considered in a comparison test. It's not like its a magazine where a fast change would be required.
One of the reasons that I purchased a CVA over a T/C Triumph was the difference in the breech plug. Looking at the T/C at the gun shop I attempted to remove the "quick release" plug and couldn't. I handed it to the shop owner who is also a gunsmith and he couldn't remove it either. This was a NIB rifle. He had to go in the back and remove it with a pair of channel locks. I don't know about you guys but I don't normally carry channel locks while hunting!
Now maybe this was out of the ordinary but it was the only T/C in the shop so the CVA came home with me. I also liked the stock design of the CVA too. It felt more comfortable.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

bronko22000

I am not sure the actual 'speed of removal' is that important. To me it is the language that CVA chose to use to describe their plug. Also the timing of the new name and the new plug which occurred shortly after TC announced their own Quick Release plug and was using the the term and the plug as a selling feature for TC rifles.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I'm reading this thread and wondering why would you need to be in such a hurry to remove a breech plug anyway? Speedy removal should not even be considered in a comparison test. It's not like its a magazine where a fast change would be required.
One of the reasons that I purchased a CVA over a T/C Triumph was the difference in the breech plug. Looking at the T/C at the gun shop I attempted to remove the "quick release" plug and couldn't. I handed it to the shop owner who is also a gunsmith and he couldn't remove it either. This was a NIB rifle. He had to go in the back and remove it with a pair of channel locks. I don't know about you guys but I don't normally carry channel locks while hunting!
Now maybe this was out of the ordinary but it was the only T/C in the shop so the CVA came home with me. I also liked the stock design of the CVA too. It felt more comfortable.
I agree totally. I don't need a tool less plug or speed breech. But I think most people want the speed breech or tool less plug myself. I think most people want break opens as well. But bolts are way easier for me to clean and do anything with. I need to make a set up to mount break opens some day for cleaning and working on.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
bronko22000

I am not sure the actual 'speed of removal' is that important. To me it is the language that CVA chose to use to describe their plug. Also the timing of the new name and the new plug which occurred shortly after TC announced their own Quick Release plug and was using the the term and the plug as a selling feature for TC rifles.
Exactly!!!
Old 01-11-2016, 09:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Mike.......Isn't it quick release compared to using a wrench? Who carries a wrench when hunting?

They didn't say it was the fastest to remove BP on the market.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

I can remove a CVA BP in less than 5 seconds.

Isn't that quick?
Old 01-11-2016, 09:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Grouse45
I agree totally. I don't need a tool less plug or speed breech. But I think most people want the speed breech or tool less plug myself. I think most people want break opens as well. But bolts are way easier for me to clean and do anything with. I need to make a set up to mount break opens some day for cleaning and working on.
That's easy Grouse. Take a 6-8" piece of 4x4 and drill a 3/4" hole through it in the center end to end. Then cut it in half lengthwise along the centerline of the hole.
Sand the edges smooth, taper the corners a little and line with felt. You may also want to remove an area for the underrib if your rifle has one.
Then with the barrel on or off the action (I prefer off), place the barrel in the recesses of the block and place in a vise. A perfect holder that will not scratch your barrel.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

The photo shows our new, and better technique for testing bullets. It eliminates the need for powder, primer, sabot, carpet, plywood, and water jugs. This new technique will save us lots of time and money.

One only needs to put the bullet in the barrel a tad, and see how it goes. This particular bullet did very very well, and the test was an unequivocal success!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.