Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Ever notice......... >

Ever notice.........

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Ever notice.........

Old 01-02-2016, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

You wouldn't even want to see the disaster I'm dealing with. Its been 2yrs since I cleaned up my hunting/shooting room.

Nice Deer Barnes
Old 01-08-2016, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

i see the problem. You need shelving on those walls.
MountainDevil makes a good point: you have a lot of wasted vertical space.

I keep bullets and powder in a locked metal storage cabinet. Locked because I have an 8 year old in the house. For large bulky items I picked up an adjustable metal shelve at Home Depot that looks like this:

Both the shelf and filing cabinet are to make use of vertical space.

It looks as though you have carpentry skills, so you could probably make shelves to save $$$.

And btw: You have a nice set-up and a great amount of space!
Old 01-08-2016, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by RobertSubnet
MountainDevil makes a good point: you have a lot of wasted vertical space.

I keep bullets and powder in a locked metal storage cabinet. Locked because I have an 8 year old in the house. For large bulky items I picked up an adjustable metal shelve at Home Depot that looks like this:

Both the shelf and filing cabinet are to make use of vertical space.

It looks as though you have carpentry skills, so you could probably make shelves to save $$$.

And btw: You have a nice set-up and a great amount of space!
I may have a "roundtoit" problem
Old 01-08-2016, 07:13 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I was so limited that when I retired I got extremely lucky and purchased a second home. Did go back in debt....don't care. Now I am told if I hang anything more on the wall 'Up there', the walls will cave in... And I agree Vertical Storage. Up there - Gun Safe in one area - Locked Ammo in another - Reloading bench with lots of Vertical Storage. Even overhead bins for my hunting cloths for Deer, Turkey, Bow, Upland.

Just another idea for you.

JW
Old 01-08-2016, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JW
I was so limited that when I retired I got extremely lucky and purchased a second home. Did go back in debt....don't care. Now I am told if I hang anything more on the wall 'Up there', the walls will cave in... And I agree Vertical Storage. Up there - Gun Safe in one area - Locked Ammo in another - Reloading bench with lots of Vertical Storage. Even overhead bins for my hunting cloths for Deer, Turkey, Bow, Upland.

Just another idea for you.

JW
Good idea, but the weight of many of those containers I have on the floor, would buckle the container and send it straight to the floor
Old 01-08-2016, 07:39 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Okay.
My tubs are not as big as shown but are like yours.
In mine are my Shotgun wads and then hulls. Other Lighter items.

OH

I also put up a simple overhead rack for all my gun cases I see you have stacked in the corner. Stuck them over my head up in the rafters. A simple drop down 2 by 4 frame.

Man most people die for a 12 to 13 block basement height like yours.....use your head space! I see fishing nets....I also have my fishing rods ceiling mounted. Actually in the garage. Come summertime when the truck is not in there the boat is. i stand up in the boat and my rods are within reach. Come winter they are up out of the way all rigged waiting for spring.

And a Peg board on that wall.....for those hangable small items you have in a tray. Heck take a walk in Menards or Home Depot closet Dept. and look at their shelving displays. That is where I get alot of my ideas. Some I buy - some I build.

Very nice
JW

JW

Last edited by JW; 01-08-2016 at 07:48 AM.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JW
Okay.
My tubs are not as big as shown but are like yours.
In mine are my Shotgun wads and then hulls. Other Lighter items.

OH

I also put up a simple overhead rack for all my gun cases I see you have stacked in the corner. Stuck them over my head up in the rafters. A simple drop down 2 by 4 frame.

Man most people die for a 12 to 13 block basement height like yours.....use your head space! I see fishing nets....I also have my fishing rods ceiling mounted. Actually in the garage. Come summertime when the truck is not in there the boat is. i stand up in the boat and my rods are within reach. Come winter they are up out of the way all rigged waiting for spring.

And a Peg board on that wall.....for those hangable small items you have in a tray. Heck take a walk in Menards or Home Depot closet Dept. and look at their shelving displays. That is where I get alot of my ideas. Some I buy - some I build.

Very nice
JW

JW
Thanks. I have a separate building for fishing supplies, boat, etc. A lot of shooting paraphernalia (had to look up that spelling) is out there also. I do exactly what you do with fishing rods, other than the eight that remain in the boat. I've got those tall Tupperware cabinets full of fishing equipment and supplies.
A couple of those containers on the floor are exceptionally heavy, as they're full of various ammunition. Many boxes of shotgun shells. I had one full of 12ga and 20ga rifled slugs from MANY years ago. I traded them off for a new trigger gage. Heck, I've even got bricks of .22 ammunition that were less than $8 a brick!

I'll get "roundtoit" one of these days, just like cleaning up the area, at least once a year
Old 01-08-2016, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well maybe the "roundtoit" might get going. The wife ask about some shelving on "her side". I told her it would be better having too much lumber than not enough
Old 01-09-2016, 05:39 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
you need more space! my gun closet gets like that then i just throw out crap i know i never will use.
That's what I do...... even earlier last year multiple bullets, balls / loading and shooting accessories for 54 and 58-cal, that I will never need in the future.

I will never-ever buy another sidehammer ML again. Just don't trust them anymore in our high-humid Midwest weather patterns that change daily.

I did not throw everything in the garbage thou. I sold-off about 600 inline bullets last year too (online), at only 1/3rd of their purchase value. If it was a bullet I would never use again (example: 175 Buffalo SSBs in 285gr and 200 Hornady XTPs/Gold Dots 230gr) ), then I have no reason to keep them.

Just a month or-so ago, I sold 200 various conicals like Hornady PA conicals, Buffalo Ballets and No Excuse bullets I'll never use again. I'm not saving ML stuff anymore, just to keep it laying around and collecting dust. Nada. Even my backyard grass got some of my throw-away. I loosely doused it with 3/4s of a jug of Triple Se7en powder - then a half jug of American Pioneer, just prior to a steady rain. Good fertilizer.

Last edited by GoexBlackhorn; 01-09-2016 at 05:46 AM.