Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
New gun won't group ideas??? >

New gun won't group ideas???

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New gun won't group ideas???

Old 12-27-2015, 02:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default New gun won't group ideas???

My daughter got my trusty traditions when she bagged her first deer with it, gave my son omega after his. I got a cva optima v2 tried my normal load of 100 gr white hots with hornaday xtp 240 gr bullets shoot 1-2 inch groups at 100 out of other guns about 10 inches out of this new cva Tried harvester scorpions with recommended sabot per harvester same result even against better judgement tried power belts same 2 different scopes off a bench rest same no matter what gun will not group any suggestions ??????? Help guys gonna throw it out soon
Old 12-27-2015, 03:31 PM
Banned

Could be bad pellets, lord knows I got hit bad with that!

Also, remove the cap on the wrist of the stock thats held on with a single screw. Tighten up that big allen head bolt holding the screw on. I've found plenty of them that were a little loose.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:36 PM
Fork Horn

Instead of throwing out the ML, throw out the White Hots...... but safely dispose of them.
Old 12-27-2015, 04:20 PM
Typical Buck

Agree with the two post above post. Start fresh with some new pellets or better yet, loose powder.

You have a nice gun there.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah them Whitehots that are shooting 1-2in groups in the other guns must be bad.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Several folks i know have had problems with White Hots. One CVA Mag Hunter would not fire White Hots with Winchester Triple Seven primers.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

Seriously, like I stated above..... put aside those White Hots.
Sounds like everyone's been shooting out of the same box of White Hots - taken the entire box on multiple trips to the range and now they're moisture-contaminated.

But instead of buying more White Hot pellets, buy a better powder to use, like Blackhorn 209. If the family wants to continue their success with White Hots pellets, let them buy their own.

I'll bet that new Optima V2 will love Blackhorn 209 and shoot that powder/bullet combo accurately.
Old 12-27-2015, 06:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by GoexBlackhorn
Seriously, like I stated above..... put aside those White Hots.
Sounds like everyone's been shooting out of the same box of White Hots - taken the entire box on multiple trips to the range and now they're moisture-contaminated.

But instead of buying more White Hot pellets, buy a better powder to use, like Blackhorn 209. If the family wants to continue their success with White Hots pellets, let them buy their own.

I'll bet that new Optima V2 will love Blackhorn 209 and shoot that powder/bullet combo accurately.
If the V2 has the correct breeh plug! CVA does not provide the correct plug with the rifle... They prefer and suggest that you shoot WhiteHots and the plug is designed for that purpose or any other BP or sub other than BH!
Old 12-27-2015, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
If the V2 has the correct breeh plug! CVA does not provide the correct plug with the rifle... They prefer and suggest that you shoot WhiteHots and the plug is designed for that purpose or any other BP or sub other than BH!
boy this sounds familiar ! lol
Old 12-27-2015, 07:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Are you swabbing out the crud ring?

Have you used a drill to clean the flame channel in the breech plug?

Did you check the screws on the scope base mount?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.