Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Hooked breech and wedge vs pinned barrel >

Hooked breech and wedge vs pinned barrel

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hooked breech and wedge vs pinned barrel

Old 12-26-2015, 10:30 PM
Banned

Default Hooked breech and wedge vs pinned barrel

What are the pros and cons of both types. I'm not sure if it wouldn't be best to use a flush kit on either one, so as not to disturb the bedding. However, what are the differences in actual useage?

OldBob
Old 12-26-2015, 11:24 PM
Banned

i prefer the wedge. It stays tighter over a longer period of time and easy to adjust when and if it does get loose. Popping pins sucks and they loosen up in not that long of time.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

I also prefer the wedge. They have always tuned easier and shot better for me. In the rifles I built myself I always used the double wedge [two wedges]. I tuned them by using a center punch on the bottom of the loop, I prefer about 5# of pressure.
Old 12-27-2015, 06:11 AM
Fork Horn

I will never ever-ever-ever buy another full-stock ML.

Down with pins - Down with pins - Down with pins!
Old 12-27-2015, 06:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by GoexBlackhorn
I will never ever-ever-ever buy another full-stock ML.

Down with pins - Down with pins - Down with pins!
I thought you were done with all sidelocks?
Old 12-27-2015, 06:50 AM
Typical Buck

I will go with the wedge just for ease of cleaning.
Old 12-27-2015, 07:51 AM
Dominant Buck

Before I purchased my custom flintlock I would have never considered a pinned barrel. But now with that rifle in the collection, a pinned barrel I found the trick to it. Its not all that hard to clean actually. Plug the vent hole. Fill the barrel with soap and water. Then tilt it back and fourth a couple times, and pour out the dirty water. Repeat the process a few times. The swab the bore clean with wet patches of soap and water. When they come out clean, then dry patch it and of course oil it to be done. The trick to making a pinned barrel stay tight is, never take it out of the stock if you don't have to.

Granted a wedged barrel rifle is easier to clean. But you can make them loose as well. I took hate to pull a rifle from the stock, but do it all the time with wedged barrels. They seem to go back good.

For new shooters, get a wedged barrel. Shoot it clean it, and enjoy it. The one day, in the future get a pinned. Its a whole new animal. But one I enjoy just as much.
Old 12-27-2015, 07:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like plains rifles and fortunately, they use wedges.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:01 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I thought you were done with all sidelocks?

Had 6 / Sold 5 - Kept 1..... basically a wall-hanger. Sees the woods once every 3-4 years, for a day or two of hunting. If it ever got stolen off my wall, I would probably smile instead of frown.

I should have purchased the CVA Mountain Rifle instead, back in 2004. That's when CVA remanufactured / reintroduced the Mountain Rifle for a short time.... one, maybe two years Cabelas had them. I bought the Traditions Shenandoah 32'' instead and regretted it the very first time I had to clean that barrel.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by GoexBlackhorn
Had 6 / Sold 5 - Kept 1..... basically a wall-hanger. Sees the woods once every 3-4 years, for a day or two of hunting. If it ever got stolen off my wall, I would probably smile instead of frown.

I should have purchased the CVA Mountain Rifle instead, back in 2004. That's when CVA remanufactured / reintroduced the Mountain Rifle for a short time.... one, maybe two years Cabelas had them. I bought the Traditions Shenandoah 32'' instead and regretted it the very first time I had to clean that barrel.
Well hell. Let me put a smile on your face.

Send it to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.