Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
How easy it is to forget!!! >

How easy it is to forget!!!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How easy it is to forget!!!

Old 12-19-2015, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How easy it is to forget!!!

I've spent a lot of time the last several years trying to help my friend Gordy get Knight back on the map. From bullets, to breech plugs, to designing guns. And I think along with others help they got some pretty good new guns on the market today!!

In the mean time I forgot just how easy smokeless muzzleloading is. Last year I don't think I even took the NULA to the range. I think I just used 42grns of 4759 and a 275grn ballistic extreme and shot a Doe. That's been the standard load in that gun since I got it many years ago.

So today I wanted to do something totally different. I've never shot a Lehigh bullet in this gun. And I wanted to use a different powder. So I weighed out V N110 41grns by weight. The first bullet I tried was the 245grn Lehigh CF bullet. The 1/32 twist NULA would just not stabilize that bullet. So I switched to the 220grn Bloodline with a MMP sabot. The first thing I noticed I was blowing the Orange MMP sabots apart. So I switched to the Harvester short black and shot two shots. Well the bullet I'm using is a .458 and the short black harvesters are for .452 bullets. Now I do this all the time in Knights, but the NULA barrel is way to tight. So I'm back to using the MMP orange sabots. I know these sabots aren't good for smokeless and hot sub loads but I figured I'll see how well they group. I've never really cared about how the sabot look as long as the target looks good.

As you can see on the photos the 100 yard groups aren't great at all. But I didn't have any other sabots to try, and I didn't bring a scale to play around with different loads. But I'm 100% positive this is plenty good out to 250 yards with my ultimate slam scope.

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/grouse1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsrvf3jlt4.jpeg.html][/

So this will be what I take to Ohio for a two day extended Rifle season after Christmas sometime. I also want to mention I got out my Chronagraphs because the recoil was so mild shooting this 220grn Bloodline. My average MV for 6 shots was 2478. That's amazing the speed with such little recoil.

Last edited by Grouse45; 12-19-2015 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-19-2015, 02:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Grouse, just stick a MMP sub base under the Orange sabot and things should be good to go. I think you said you had some sub bases correct? That is exactly what they were built for.

I am a bit surprised that the 245's wouldn't stabilize. But I can also understand why those stubby 220's do/ Those were nice clean holes in the paper.
Old 12-19-2015, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Grouse, just stick a MMP sub base under the Orange sabot and things should be good to go. I think you said you had some sub bases correct? That is exactly what they were built for.
Yes I do have those. I'm afraid if I don't shoot it again those sub bases will change poi???
Old 12-19-2015, 02:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Yes I do have those. I'm afraid if I don't shoot it again those sub bases will change poi???
Guess they might but you can check it after a day of hunting...
Old 12-19-2015, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I found some more of the 220grn Bloodlines. I was afraid I gave them away. Look at the bullet in the sabot. Pretty short bullet, sorta like a XTP with far different results.

Old 12-19-2015, 04:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Grouse

That is really not that bad of fit - if you loader does not catch the ends of the sabot. MMP cut the inside of the tips to allow a little space and an aid in opening the sabot. The shorter fit of the bullet will allow the sabot to come off cleaner and faster.
Old 12-19-2015, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Grouse, get you some Crush ribs (not the shorties) for those .458's. They work beautifully for my .458 lehighs out of my TC. I got a ton of them to load up for the SOCOM and found they shoot pretty dang sporty from my front stuffer as well. Aint legal here for deer (not an expanding design) which is incredibly stupid as I had them tested on some hogs with my SOCOM while I was down and the reports were amazing damage to the internals with little damage on entrance and exit to the meat. But anywho, give the long petal CR's a swing with them and you will probably find a winner.
Old 12-19-2015, 04:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I had a feeling those might work.
Old 12-19-2015, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Grouse, get you some Crush ribs (not the shorties) for those .458's. They work beautifully for my .458 lehighs out of my TC. I got a ton of them to load up for the SOCOM and found they shoot pretty dang sporty from my front stuffer as well. Aint legal here for deer (not an expanding design) which is incredibly stupid as I had them tested on some hogs with my SOCOM while I was down and the reports were amazing damage to the internals with little damage on entrance and exit to the meat. But anywho, give the long petal CR's a swing with them and you will probably find a winner.
You mean these right?

Old 12-19-2015, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
I had a feeling those might work.
I shot two shots at 225 yards 2 inches apart and quit. They will do fine for any range I'm gonna shoot at something.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.