Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
'Twas a Hawken day >

'Twas a Hawken day

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

'Twas a Hawken day

Old 12-19-2015, 01:06 PM
Banned

Default 'Twas a Hawken day

Well, with it being 56* t-shirt weather, I took advantage and had a blast today for a while. One thing I've learned. When you can reloading a sidelock like you're shooting BH209, You sometimes forget to load powder!

First 3 shots I was extremely happy, then I started to play around with my patches and noticed one side had a deeper - rougher texture to it. I started to load that against the rifle and noticed tighter restriction during load. I'm not sure if that deeper fabric was wiping the bore better or not but the group shrunk drastically on the next 2 shots.

Originally was sighted in with shockeys gold, but today I switched to dirty goex 2fg for these 7 shots. 70 grains 2fg goex, .020", .570 round ball and my buckskinner's patch lube. No swabbing between shots was needed throughout the entire shooting session.

Now with the rifle center, I reloaded a few tubes with my 100gr goex 2fg hunting load and took 3 more shots. X'd out hole was the older hole. Stickers were knocked off after the first shot.

Overall, I am extremely pleased with the accuracy and consistency. It just felt nice to get out and make some thunder in the valley.

Now to clean the rifle and then set up some new loads so I can get her completely dialed in for some hog hunting.
Old 12-19-2015, 02:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

I just love my .58 GM barreled sidelock. The last time I had it out I punched 5 shots into a 1 1/2" ragged hole at 100 yards. My load is 100 gr of Goex FFg under a .575" RB and olive oil .020" patch.
Old 12-19-2015, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I just love my .58 GM barreled sidelock. The last time I had it out I punched 5 shots into a 1 1/2" ragged hole at 100 yards. My load is 100 gr of Goex FFg under a .575" RB and olive oil .020" patch.
My friend Popeye wants to know if your Olive Oil is of the double virgin variety?