Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
A little Success in Idaho >

A little Success in Idaho

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

A little Success in Idaho

Old 12-13-2015, 10:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by kidoggy
GREAT job! congrats . and kudos for sticking around and making sure you didn't miss

It was very close... but I really thought I did hit it. The shot was low and the lungs were gone and the bullet did pass through and the off-side rib cage was really a mess but the animal never showed any ill effects at shot time and after walking away.
Old 12-13-2015, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's a big ole yearling! Nice roasts on that one for sure! They are funny sometimes about taking a shot and showing absolutely no signs of the hit. Just stand there looking at you with a "wth you looking at" face Moose are really bad about that.

Last edited by super_hunt54; 12-13-2015 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-13-2015, 11:42 AM
Fork Horn

My congrats.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Congratulations Mike on sticking to the search and finding that deer. That sure looks like some good eating. Great story too. Made me feel I was kneeling there next to you in the fog.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:57 PM
Typical Buck

Mike, way to go!! She may be a yearling, but she'll provide you with some fine eating. I can't believe you think you missed her the way you shoot. LOL. I know what you mean though. I went through the same thing this year with my two grandsons. My one grandson shot a doe, but did not know he hit her. She just stood their in the brush not offering him another shot. My other grandson who was hunting in the treestand with me, saw her and after what seemed like 10 minutes was able to get a clear shot and dropped her. What was unknown to us my grandson actually gut shot her and she just walked off and stayed in the thick brush and stayed there. Naturally like you he thought he missed her.
Old 12-13-2015, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations!!! You still got that Kawasaki? What year is that thing?

So I gotta ask. Why would you leave that Elk over night?
Old 12-13-2015, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL Grouse, he's old and it was COLD! He wanted to get that 4 wheeler in instead of packing the thing out and I for one can NOT blame the old guy. Been quite a few times I wished I had the option of doing the very same thing.
Old 12-13-2015, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
LOL Grouse, he's old and it was COLD! He wanted to get that 4 wheeler in instead of packing the thing out and I for one can NOT blame the old guy. Been quite a few times I wished I had the option of doing the very same thing.
He usually keeps it in back of the truck. But maybe he didn't. Could of been the trees that fell as well. Just curious
Old 12-13-2015, 04:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Congratulations!!! You still got that Kawasaki? What year is that thing?

So I gotta ask. Why would you leave that Elk over night?
The Green thing is a 2001 so it is not that old! I gave Trevor the 1992 Kawasaki... and it was in the back of the truck.

I was by myself and by the time I got that girl cleaned and mostly off the ground it was darker than crap and I still had to find a way in to the animal. I also knew the temp was going to near freezing all night so it and the gut pile would cool out just fine. The animal was only a 1 1/2 old and in really good shape so there was no hurry. And she certainly was not going anyplace at that point.

As it turned out the route in was fairly easy just had to a bit of chainsaw work to get in.
Old 12-13-2015, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
The Green thing is a 2001 so it is not that old! I gave Trevor the 1992 Kawasaki... and it was in the back of the truck.

I was by myself and by the time I got that girl cleaned and mostly off the ground it was darker than crap and I still had to find a way in to the animal. I also knew the temp was going to near freezing all night so it and the gut pile would cool out just fine. The animal was only a 1 1/2 old and in really good shape so there was no hurry. And she certainly was not going anyplace at that point.

As it turned out the route in was fairly easy just had to a bit of chainsaw work to get in.
I'm glad you did leave it, didn't think you were alone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.