Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Knight rifle DISC extreme Crown >

Knight rifle DISC extreme Crown

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight rifle DISC extreme Crown

Old 12-09-2015, 06:24 PM
Spike

Default Knight rifle DISC extreme Crown

Hi All, I am new to black powder and have just got in a brand new knight disc extreme 52cal. And have a couple of questions.
1 The crow is cut at a angle vs strait is this normal and will this affect accuracy?
2 how many times can I use the plastic 209 primer holders
3 can I use Goex powder FF and if so what 209 primer is best
4 I am planning on using this rifle with loose 777 powder and 777 primers for Black bear, Moose, Elk,deer, any recommended do it all bullet and load. I think I will be sticking to the 458cal as bullet are less$$ and more available

Thanks for Help a New Guy out
Old 12-09-2015, 06:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

1...It's fine.
2.... Knight says once, but i've used them 2-3 times.
3....Use the same primer you're using for T7.
4...458 bullet will work good.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

An 11 degree crown is considered optimum to most target shooters, me included, for the gas balance upon bullet exit. I have 11 degree on most all of my rifles including my front loaders. I'm no expert on Knight rifles but I believe they cut 11 degree crowns in most of their upper end barrels.

Never used those plastic primer seals so I have no clue there.

Like Pete said, whatever lights your T7 off will be fine for Goex

.458's have an excellent selection in rifle bullets that will work well in that Knight.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Get any of the 458 300gr JHPs. They seem to be made for milder 45/70 loads which should work just fine. I like the Sierra 458 300gr HPFN. Sierra specifies this bullet was designed to work even at Trapdoor speeds which is around 1300-1400fps at the muzzle.

I would ditch the red plastic jackets aka FPJs and get a bare primer conversion. Its a hell of a lot cleaner.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is a great rifle, and actually a nice caliber. Lots of options on bullets.

First, yes the Red FPJ can be used more than once, my cousin uses his 2x. Another buddy of mine uses new each time. I have no experience as I don't use them - I have the bare primer plug in my Disc's. If you ever want to switch to bare primers, you can purchase that setup from knight (and others) for about $40. My rifles have zero blowback using W209 primers. Mixed reviews on how much or little blowback with the Red FPJ.... but they function perfectly.

For bullets, there are plenty of options in but I would look at the Bloodlines. They deliver devastating performance, and especially since it sounds like you live in an area with bigger game. The 300gr with 100-110gr T7 would be perfect, imo. 300gr Bloodline

If you search here you should be able to see field reports of those bullets in action. Sabotloader and Grouse have shot quite a few with the Bloodline/Lehigh bullets, and there have been others. Josmund just posted a field report the other day, but with the 250. They aren't cheap, but once you dial in you can target shoot with cheaper rounds if you want, and save the Bloodlines for hunting.

Welcome to the board, stick around
Old 12-10-2015, 10:03 AM
Fork Horn

The Knight red hot(which is made by Barnes) in 275gr is a great option as well.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:24 AM
Spike

Thank you, All

I have been thinking about the bare primer conversion its good to hear that it shoots cleaner I has not sure about that. Any advantages for one or the other? Knight calls it a weather guard is this true or is a bare primer able to keep moisture out well.

Any one shoot the powder pellets I know that it is 50cal and my gun is 52cal?

I had not considered the Sierra 300gn at about 50 cent each it would be reasonable to shoot.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

The Remington and Hornady 458 300gr HPs are about 40 cent each also.

In Premium priced bullets i would look at the 275gr Bloodline, Barnes 300gr 458SOCOM and the Lehigh 458 305gr. You will likely want to shoot these with a bit more muzzle velocity than the cheap 458 HPs.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 12-11-2015 at 08:35 AM.