Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Help I got a bullet stuck! >

Help I got a bullet stuck!

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Help I got a bullet stuck!

Old 11-20-2015, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't have to take the breech plug out. I used a grease gun to push it out.
Old 11-20-2015, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ahhh, so the plug is still in there? I'd personally be getting that puppy out and replacing it. No way would I be able to trust it under firing pressure.
Old 11-21-2015, 03:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow Ron...that's an odd one for sure. 20yrs? Geez... and I agree, that has to be the strangest projectile I've ever seen. Sure looks aerodynamic

Good job helping your friend out. Looks like you did a pretty good job from what I can see, all things considered. Hopefully it will still shoot ok.

super... its a Hawken, so no removable plug. I'm thinking you glossed over that part in the initial post. I guess he could find a whole new breech and replace it if he wanted and felt it was worth it.

I wonder how many ML's out there get treated the same way...and end up in the junk pile. Its a shame really, its not that hard to clean one up.
Old 11-21-2015, 05:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Looks like a round ball someone beat with a ramrod and hammer.

You did a nice job of cleaning up the bore.
Old 11-21-2015, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
Wow Ron...that's an odd one for sure. 20yrs? Geez... and I agree, that has to be the strangest projectile I've ever seen. Sure looks aerodynamic

Good job helping your friend out. Looks like you did a pretty good job from what I can see, all things considered. Hopefully it will still shoot ok.

super... its a Hawken, so no removable plug. I'm thinking you glossed over that part in the initial post. I guess he could find a whole new breech and replace it if he wanted and felt it was worth it.

I wonder how many ML's out there get treated the same way...and end up in the junk pile. Its a shame really, its not that hard to clean one up.

I posted it was a hawken right above the first picture.
I honestly think the barrel is fine. I am going to tell him that if he wants to get rid of it I would be interested.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by falcon
Looks like a round ball someone beat with a ramrod and hammer.
Exactly! So bizarre... and what the heck is it in?
Old 11-21-2015, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

UHHHH Not all Hawkens have permanent plugs. Mine is removable. Matter of fact, every Hawken I have handled has had a removable plug. I didn't gloss over it.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:53 AM
Banned

most are removable yes, but they should not be removed unless its really needed. Some guys take it apart every time for cleaning and then ask where they can get a new plug because they messed theirs up.

That plug looks fine, Just rusty coated which will go away once its fired a few times. I've seen brand new plugs that had more rust on them than the one ron shows.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
what in the world kind of projectile is that? poly patch round ball?
That would be my best guess MD... one of those crappy ol' poly patches with a round ball got hung up in a badly fouled bore and someone did some serious pounding on!

Ron... nice job on that bore, looks like you brought er' back from the dead.

BPS