Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Pyrodex vs 777

Old 11-17-2015, 04:30 AM
Spike

Default Pyrodex vs 777

I just recently realized that I have bought 2 different types of BP propellant, Pyrodex and 777 (both pellets). I use a 100 gr in my normal load. Here's the issue...since I assumed they were the same, I don't remember which type I used when sighting in my ML. So, let's assume I sighted in with 777 and switched to Pyrodex. Obviously, one is slightly longer than the other, but will the switch have a significant affect on my point of impact at 100 yds? I'm new to the forum so any help would greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Ric
Old 11-17-2015, 07:01 AM
Typical Buck

I've seen guns shoot similar with both & some quite a bit different, especially at 100yds. I'd for sure shoot one of each before hunting to see what the gun was doing vs heading out blind & risking a miss or even worse, wounding & losing an animal. Honestly I think time has proven 777 to be "not really worth it" over Pyro. There are better alternatives today!
Old 11-17-2015, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Take a look at your pellet boxes, see if one is missing a bunch. If you can't tell... well T7 is hotter than pyrodex. How much difference will it make... ??? I don't know if there is any way to know without shooting it. Its not gonna be so much that you'd miss a deer, but it could possibly make a difference in shot placement. I know for me confidence is huge when in the field. I'd try to go shoot it if you can.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:18 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by HatchieLuvr
time has proven 777 to be "not really worth it" over Pyro. There are better alternatives today!
I disagree with that statement!! Triple 7 is far better than pyrodex, its hotter and not nearly as corrosive and cleans up very easily. I have used both in loose and pellet form when first starting out in this sport. I can't tell you how many guns I have seen ruined by lack of care after shooting Pyrodex. Triple 7 will over time do the same if not cleaned, but it takes longer. Pyrodex starts eating metal as soon as it is fired. I won't buy any form of Pyrodex any longer, but have several pounds of Triple 7 2Fg an 3Fg on hand for my White rifles.

As far as the better alternative only Blackhorn 209 comes close in the tighter bores. I like it as well in my CVA Optima V2 handgun. I don't like the crud ring of Triple 7 in the Optima so I use BH.

To get back on topic I agree with WV Hunter, check your pellet supply and start keeping notes when you are at the range. I do myself as CRS (can't remember stuff) has a way of getting all of us. I wouldn't hunt till I know for sure which powder I sighted in with.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by toytruck
I disagree with that statement!! Triple 7 is far better than pyrodex, its hotter and not nearly as corrosive and cleans up very easily. I have used both in loose and pellet form when first starting out in this sport. I can't tell you how many guns I have seen ruined by lack of care after shooting Pyrodex. Triple 7 will over time do the same if not cleaned, but it takes longer. Pyrodex starts eating metal as soon as it is fired. I won't buy any form of Pyrodex any longer, but have several pounds of Triple 7 2Fg an 3Fg on hand for my White rifles.

As far as the better alternative only Blackhorn 209 comes close in the tighter bores. I like it as well in my CVA Optima V2 handgun. I don't like the crud ring of Triple 7 in the Optima so I use BH.

To get back on topic I agree with WV Hunter, check your pellet supply and start keeping notes when you are at the range. I do myself as CRS (can't remember stuff) has a way of getting all of us. I wouldn't hunt till I know for sure which powder I sighted in with.

I shoot mainly Goex and Swiss black powder but I also use some triple 7. I have a couple jugs of pyrodex on the shelf but I like my guns too much to put it in them. Maybe someday I will hate a gun enough to use it. I guess that's what I'm keeping it for.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:38 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Pyrodex is the most corrosive sub there is , I wouldnt be recommending it to someone

Old 11-17-2015, 12:50 PM
Banned

Its all corrosive if you are lazy and dont care for your muzzle loader.

I'll take pyrodex all day long over over that t7 stuff.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Used them all over the years. Still love my Swiss ( flounder) but I used Pyro, T7, now using BH209. Since I am about as OCD as one can get about my firearms being clean I have no clue about the corrosive effects of Pyro not being cleaned immediately since I would never NOT clean a firearm after it has left my house, let alone been shot! I honestly believe if I did, my old man would rise from the grave and deal me a serious blow to the rear! Ghostly butt kicking sceers me a little

As to the OP, I would personally go out and shoot that ML in with whichever you are going to use and write it down. I keep a log book myself, since I use around 100 different powders, with each rifle (cartridge based or ML) I write down the load, bullet, everything involved with any loading I do. Anyone with multiple rifles or likes experimenting with different loads with their MLers should keep a log.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:53 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
Its all corrosive if you are lazy and dont care for your muzzle loader.

I'll take pyrodex all day long over over that t7 stuff.
I thought this is the place where you are suppose say you would take Shockeys ( APP) powder over pyrodex or 777 . You are slipping

Old 11-17-2015, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I actually like pyrodex. Never had an issue with it and it shoots very well in my MK's. Yes, its corrosive...but that's not an issue if you clean your gun. T7 is fine too, but you have to deal with crud ring more than other subs. Each powder has pro's and con's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.