HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Pyrodex vs 777
Thread: Pyrodex vs 777
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2015, 12:18 PM
toytruck
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by HatchieLuvr
time has proven 777 to be "not really worth it" over Pyro. There are better alternatives today!
I disagree with that statement!! Triple 7 is far better than pyrodex, its hotter and not nearly as corrosive and cleans up very easily. I have used both in loose and pellet form when first starting out in this sport. I can't tell you how many guns I have seen ruined by lack of care after shooting Pyrodex. Triple 7 will over time do the same if not cleaned, but it takes longer. Pyrodex starts eating metal as soon as it is fired. I won't buy any form of Pyrodex any longer, but have several pounds of Triple 7 2Fg an 3Fg on hand for my White rifles.

As far as the better alternative only Blackhorn 209 comes close in the tighter bores. I like it as well in my CVA Optima V2 handgun. I don't like the crud ring of Triple 7 in the Optima so I use BH.

To get back on topic I agree with WV Hunter, check your pellet supply and start keeping notes when you are at the range. I do myself as CRS (can't remember stuff) has a way of getting all of us. I wouldn't hunt till I know for sure which powder I sighted in with.