Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Up grade to the Williams FP sight >

Up grade to the Williams FP sight

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Up grade to the Williams FP sight

Old 11-15-2015, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Up grade to the Williams FP sight

I made an up grade to the sights on both of my MK85's. I have been using them like I use the Lyman sight. I take a range finder get the range and set the sight for the shot. No hold over or under.
Well the FP sight had a screw to set the sight to keep it from being sloppy.
This is what the original set up looked like.

I added new screws with knobs that will allow me to loosen them set the sight and re tighten. I like the idea I don't have a loose screw in the sight to get lost, or an unknown amount of slop.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ron, the addition of the target knobs certainly makes the sight more versatile - I just wish they made the 'quick release' that Lyman uses.

The knob on the side - did you make that or does that come with the 'target knob' kit?

I have as yet not converted to the target knobs on my MK's so I am still using the PBR method which works for me as I have capped myself at 150 yards for deer and 175 for elk.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Looks nice Ron. I have not done this upgrade on my FP sights.
On another note, I have seen the Lyman sights for sale from time to time. I have yet to see one mounted on an MK 85. It requires screws to be drilled and tapped. A bit of trouble but I think it would make a nice receiver sight.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been using the target adjustment knob for elevation for a few years and I agree I wish they had a quick release like the Lyman. The locking screw is a part that you can order from Williams. It is called the WMS Marlin 6-48 Giblock Locking knob, they cost about 8 bucks each.
When you get them they are a pinch too long. I took off the sight and screwed it in all the way. Then I used a 1" wide sander and took off the extra length. I like it being tight now instead of loose.