Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
first time out with #21 >

first time out with #21

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

first time out with #21

Old 11-12-2015, 08:30 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Default first time out with #21

I haven't had as much time to shoot as I had hoped but I was able to get out and do a preliminary sight in. I didn't work on load development or try to tweak anything. My goal was to get the gun on paper and then before the season starts make an effort to tweak things a little more
I really want to use this gun during the rifle season
I only have a few Lehigh 215's left ,which I want to use on game, so I went with the Lehigh 200 gr for all initial shots and then I will switch to the 215 and determine the poi before hunting time.
I went with volume measurement on powder instead of weighed charges simply because I poured powder on site.
I used 110 gr Blackhorn, fed 209a primer, and blue crushrib sabot for all Lehigh bullets and 120 gr Blackhorn for the sabotless 270 parker E-max

Here's the gun . I put a Nikon Monarch 4x16 mildot on it simply because that is what I had laying around.

the results were satisfactory for a preliminary outing. I believe the gun has great potential, now I just have to find that potential when I can experiment more.

this first target shows the 100 yard group with the 200 gr lehighs

this second target shows the same group plus the 215 Lehigh, which was just a little lower. But one shot doesn't tell a whole lot, so I will find out next time out how the 215 does.

I also wanted to try a little longer range , so I switched to the Parker 270 E-max sabotless, .060 veggie wad, and upped the powder to 120 gr ( about 84 by weight)
I achieved this 150 yard group

Next time out I will work at checking some variables and see if I can get it ready for use this season. If not I have a couple others that are ready. I just really want to let this one have a chance to harvest a deer but I think I may need more time to get to the point I want it to be at.

Last edited by 1874sharpsshooter; 11-12-2015 at 08:39 AM.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:44 AM
1874sharpsshooter

For those with an eye for detail, you will notice the Lehigh's in a tan mmp. I thought I would never get that first bullet down the barrel it was so tight. So I used the blue crush rib and it loaded just about right.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice! Pretty rifle, hope you get to fur test it this season.

What's the significance of #21? Is that the serial #? 21 of 25?
Old 11-12-2015, 08:47 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by WV Hunter

What's the significance of #21? Is that the serial #? 21 of 25?
yes that is correct. I caved in

Old 11-12-2015, 09:08 AM
Dominant Buck

very nice rifle and excellent shooting. The game animal should be warned they are in grave danger. And I do mean grave.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
yes that is correct. I caved in
Haha. Well you caved on a good one! Maybe it was just you didn't want there to be a gun out there that you didn't own...

She's a beauty, and looks like a shooter. Them 215's will be bad medicine I'm sure! Gonna put in a removable vent liner when it wears out?
Old 11-12-2015, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 200grn Lehighs need pushed in most cases. Even in that 1/20 twist. I think you will tighten that group up with 120grns by volume. Its almost like its stringing anyway. Your starting efforts with this gun are very positive to say the least.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:53 PM
Fork Horn

Did you have any primers stick in yours. good shooting there sharp shooter and I will have to bring my front rest next time I go shoot left it at home.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:39 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by a1smokepole
Did you have any primers stick in yours. good shooting there sharp shooter and I will have to bring my front rest next time I go shoot left it at home.
I inky have federal 209a primers at the moment and they did stick .I had to dry fire it then they fell right out

Old 11-12-2015, 04:37 PM
Fork Horn

Good shootin!! Looks pretty darn good to me...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.