Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Why Big Balls Are Better >

Why Big Balls Are Better

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Why Big Balls Are Better

Old 10-19-2015, 08:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Round balls, especially those .50 caliber and larger, perform much better than their listed foot pounds of energy would indicate.

i've killed a few deer and a dozen or so wild hogs with .50 caliber and .54 caliber guns firing patched round balls. Most died within 20 yards of being hit. One deer went 80-100 yards: Good exit wound from the .530 round ball.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:59 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
I have to click on it myself. PB pics have been doing that a lot lately I have noticed.
I cant see the picture.
My email is active here and i am willing to help as i have a flickr account. If that will work for you.
Jw
Old 10-20-2015, 10:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Here is the table Semi was trying to get up... If this not correct Semi let me know.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:33 PM
Fork Horn

I don't know that bigger round balls are better because dead is dead. I too ten to lean toward the larger calibers though. Most of my hunting is done with a 58 caliber using either a patched .570 or .575 round ball. One thing is certain though, the larger balls provide more kinetic energy. Another thing that I like is that if the deer has an exit wound, the blood trail seems to be more pronounced if the deer runs. The only deer that I have shot with a 45 caliber round ball did not have an exit wound but dropped in his tracks when I shot him. That was with a little 50gr charge of GOEX fffg.