Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

And AGAIN?

Old 10-12-2015, 07:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

To me, that's ridiculous.
Almost as ridiculous as a woman having 99 pairs of shoes.

Our season is mid-November through the end of January. I usually end up hunting with at least a half dozen different MLs during that period, and occasionally a cartridge rifle (but not often). But I sure have fun on the rifle range with a whole lot of different guns.

I'm unlikely to ever hunt with the Parker Hale because the sights are not suitable for that purpose with my eyes. But I'm damn well going to try hitting a gong at 200 yards with that big old Minié ball.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:58 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Triple Se7en

Concerning myself and not grandson, two muzzleloaders and two centerfires are plenty for that short hunting season. Seems crazy when reading some posters here have 30-40+ MLs, even three useable models that are exactly the same.

To me, that's ridiculous.
T7, I can't speak for anyone else here but myself. I had 74 firearms when I was married a few years ago. Upon the divorce I did give my kids some of the guns and I gave a matching rifle to my dad. So that left me around 50. Now I do have several firearms and I enjoy all of them. I live in the south and we have liberal seasons plus I do hunt several other states. Some of my guns I hunt with regularly while some were handed down through generations and they rarely see daylight. As far as ML's go I have several of those and yes I shoot everyone of them including both of my .58's. As they work purdy good on black bear. I am not here to criticize anyone for what or how many they own. It's there money and they get to spend it the way they choose. The same as me. Since I have been back on this forum I have seen some of the most ridiculous posts that are just itching to start a fight. People being so touchy over nothing. Where I come from you don't talk bad about a mans Guns, God, Family and the patch of dirt he calls Home or his Dog unless you want to start trouble. For me it's not ridiculous to purchase what you want and the plus side it is stimulating the economy. Semi you can buy all you want of course that your wife will let you buy. Lord knows our economy needs some stimulating...lol
Old 10-12-2015, 09:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Semi you can buy all you want of course that your wife will let you buy.
Thanks Slowburn. I'll rely on your approval for my next purchase.

My wife and I have an agreement. She doesn't review my gun purchases and I don't review her credit card statements.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sigh, I wish your wife would teach my wife that trick. My wife and I have a very different agreement. Her money is her money and my money is her money.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:04 PM
Fork Horn

[QUOTE=Semisane;4222918]Thanks Slowburn. I'll rely on your approval for my next purchase. :

Semi, it appears your doing purdy dang good on your purchases that you don't need my approval for anything... Me and my ex-wife have an agreement. She stays in TX and leaves me the hell alone. I do what I choose and buy what I want...lol...
Old 10-12-2015, 07:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm sure you all know the old saying "Beware of the man with only one rifle. He probably knows how to use it!"
After being on this forum for several years now I can attest that the man they were talking about in that quote is no one on here. No I don't have any duplicates but I do own a mess of iron. More than some and less than others. Do we need all these different chunks of metal, wood or plastic/polymer? No...but they sure are fun.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have quite a few also, some haven't been shot in many years. I do try and get out with multiple rifles each season. Last year 2 of the deer I killed were with 2 rifles that I had never hunted with before, even though I'd had them quite a while. So to me that was neat. This year I'll be hitting the field with some new iron as well. I have my old reliable's.... but its nice to mix it up!
Old 10-13-2015, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dang it... why did I have to check this thread Semi you Ol' swamp rattler!!

I've been jonesing for one of those 2-band Parker Hale Enfields for a long time but could never see my way to plunk down the $$ for a new one and could never find a decent used one that some re-enactor hadn't beat the hell out of. I've handled some of the Italian makes and they're definitely not the quality of a Parker Hale.

I own an original 2-band Enfield just like the one you posted that's in overall good shape for it's age but I would never shoot it. I sure wish it could talk though... bet it would have some tales to tell!

BPS
Old 10-13-2015, 01:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Turns out to have been made in 1974. So it's over 20 years old. I guess that's why it was so cheap.

(I don't know why this picture isn't showing up. But clicking on it will bring you to the picture in Photobucket. It's the Birmingham Proof House date code chart.)

And the bore is mighty nice.

Last edited by Semisane; 10-14-2015 at 02:54 AM.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Turns out to have been made in 1974. So it's over 20 years old. I guess that's why it was so cheap.
Semi my friend...

Over 20 YEARS OLD??? How about over 50 YEARS OLD!!! And, it's in perfect condition!! Cheap??... Well, I'd rather not know what you paid for it... I don't want to cry myself to sleep! Please keep me in mind if you wish to sell it, reasonably of course....

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 10-13-2015 at 09:48 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.