Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Oops, I did it again! >

Oops, I did it again!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Oops, I did it again!

Old 10-12-2015, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Now isn't that just about as stupid a thing to do as can be? Filing out the Pedersoli name but leaving the ITALIAN proof house marks on there? Sheesh, anyone that knows anything about firearms knows proof house marks and can see those are Italian PH's so that barrel is OBVIOUSLY not American made. At least I don't think any American barrel makers send their barrels to Italy for proofing
Old 10-12-2015, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Jon is right Blackpowdersmoke. The later Hatfield company did have guns made by Pedersoli and got caught removing the Pedersoli name from them.
Semi...

A later Hatfield Company??.... So was there an earlier Hatfield Company whose guns were American made as I was always lead to believe? Why does yours have an L&R lock and not a Pedersoli lock or is that not so as was the supposed GM barrel which is Pedersoli?

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 10-12-2015 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

So I'm assuming you didn't get the rifle you thought you got? Since that isn't a green mountain barrel? Wouldn't a Pedersoli barrel actually be worth more? I'm not as familiar as I SHOULD be with the GM vs Pedersoli values.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:18 PM
Fork Horn

I have a .36 frontier from Pedersoli and I love it. It shoots great and is very reliable in igniting the charge. It seems to have a fairly quick lock time and I love to carry it hunting. I know you will really enjoy it. I must admit that yours has a far purdier stock than mine does. My is just a plain walnut stock but I love the way she feels. Good luck and enjoy...
Old 10-12-2015, 12:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
Semi...

A later Hatfield Company??.... So was there an earlier Hatfield Company whose guns were American made as I was always lead to believe? Why does yours have an L&R lock and not a Pedersoli lock or is that not so as was the supposed GM barrel which is Pedersoli?

BPS
BPS, regarding the "L&R Lock" tag on the picture in my original post. That has proved to be incorrect. It's a Pedersoli lock.

When I labeled the original picture I was going by research that said Hatfield used GM barrels and L&R locks. Well, that was true for the original maker, Ted Hatfield. He built them in St. Joseph, Missouri and the gun was supposedly a copy of rifles built by his great-great-grandfather, Moses Hatfield. It seems that somewhere along the way Hatfield sold the name/design to a group that became the "Hatfield" company, and at one point that company contracted production out to Pedersoli. They built the "Hatfield" guns with all Pedersoli manufactured parts, except for the American tiger striped maple wood used for the stocks.

Anyway, here's a corrected picture.

Last edited by Semisane; 10-12-2015 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:58 PM
Banned

I believe their slogan at the time was "Uniquely" American Made. I'll have to check through some old magazines I have and see what I can come up with.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:14 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
I believe their slogan at the time was "Uniquely" American Made. I'll have to check through some old magazines I have and see what I can come up with.
They were speaking of the stock

Old 10-12-2015, 03:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well, what's more uniquely American than a bit of slight of hand by a corporation?
Old 10-12-2015, 03:50 PM
Dominant Buck

Well I don't care who built it or where the parts come from... I really like the rifle. If you ever decide you don't like it, call me ... we can talk.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Semi...

I have a copy of Fjestad's "Blue book of Modern black Powder Values" from 2002. He stated that the guns were previously manufactured by Mountain River Rifle Works and then by Hatfield Gun Co. Inc. until 1996

The MSR at that time for the Squirrel rifle you have was $600...

Add $20 for flintlock
Add $65 for extra fancy maple grade II and $175 for hand selected grade III
Custom models could run 200% over standard

Maybe this will give you some idea of what you're rifle is worth.

BPS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.