Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Frustrating today

Old 10-04-2015, 01:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Frustrating today

I took my .45 today and because I was only checking out the new peep and getting it close I decided to grab a couple packs of 225 gr Powerbelt Aerotips. Boy was that a mistake! For how good this rifle shoots 200 gr .40 cal XTPs with Harvester CR sabots it was scattering these Powerbelts all over the target like .45 cal buckshot. After sending about 20 or so of them down range I figured I have the sights in the ballpark and no sense wasting any more powder. If I get a chance I'll take it out with the XTPs next week.
But in either event it was a beautiful day for shooting or just being outdoors. Just a slight breeze and a sunny 64*.
Old 10-04-2015, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, you of all people know I hate powerjunks but one thing I HAVE always found with them was excellent accuracy. Just hate the terminal performance of them. You sure you were getting the same seating pressure?
Old 10-04-2015, 02:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yep right down to my ramrod mark every time. I tried both 80 and 90 gr charges of Pyro P. Maybe I should have went down to 70 gr. I did pick up several of the PB skirts and saw that they had numerous splits?! Not sure if it was because they were brittle or if my rifling was so sharp that it cut the skirt. Maybe these slits were causing gas blow by.
I'll try the XTPs next week between archery hunts if I have the time.
Old 10-04-2015, 02:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

That gun has the Green Mountain 1:30 twist barrel, right? Dang man, get yourself some of those 350 grain lead hollowpoints from Ed Mehlig and find out what happiness is.

Old 10-04-2015, 03:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Semisane
That gun has the Green Mountain 1:30 twist barrel, right? Dang man, get yourself some of those 350 grain lead hollowpoints from Ed Mehlig and find out what happiness is.

OK Ed - did you see this? You have my address.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

OK Ed - did you see this? You have my address.
Go ahead an buy a hundred and get to shooting. His prices are reasonable - way better than buying Powerbelts. Anyway, if for some strange reason they don't shoot for you, you can send them to me.
Old 10-04-2015, 04:03 PM
Banned

each gun has its own personal load. I had an omega that shot powerbelts best with pyrodex P and not worth a darn with RS.
Old 10-04-2015, 04:17 PM
Dominant Buck

Never having shot Powerbelts are living creatures yet, I can't rate their terminal performance other then some media testing I did long ago. But one this, like Super Hunt 54 said ... I always found them accurate. Funny that your .45 did not shoot them well.

As for Ed's bullets I shot a few of them out of my .45 GMB and my .451 White. Amazing accuracy. Just amazing. And boy do they thud when they hit my steel back stop.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have a PM sent to Ed to send me his address so I can send him a few $$ so he can send me a handful to try. I may just go with Semi's idea and buy 100. If they don't work I'll be shipping them to LA.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I took my .45 today and because I was only checking out the new peep and getting it close I decided to grab a couple packs of 225 gr Powerbelt Aerotips. Boy was that a mistake! For how good this rifle shoots 200 gr .40 cal XTPs with Harvester CR sabots it was scattering these Powerbelts all over the target like .45 cal buckshot. After sending about 20 or so of them down range I figured I have the sights in the ballpark and no sense wasting any more powder. If I get a chance I'll take it out with the XTPs next week.
But in either event it was a beautiful day for shooting or just being outdoors. Just a slight breeze and a sunny 64*.
Seems kinda funny the one thing that PB's seem to have going for them is they usually shoot very accurately, even out of a TC with a QLA. Probably one of the biggest reason that people might use them. There is a lot difference between accuracy and Terminal Ballistics.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.