Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
My 2015 antelope With my Hot Rod Hawken >

My 2015 antelope With my Hot Rod Hawken

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

My 2015 antelope With my Hot Rod Hawken

Old 09-25-2015, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default My 2015 antelope With my Hot Rod Hawken

I have been working on shooting and scouting a lot this year. This is the third antelope tag I have drawn in 30 years.
I went out scouting a couple weeks ago and I took this picture of what I think is my buck.

I got out there on the 22nd and sat in my blind on the 23rd and 24th. I got this picture of him on the water.

I decided that with all the competition this year I was going to get in the blind early. At 8:00 or so a nice little buck came in and I thought about it hard. I passed him and at 9:00 or so in came my buck. He came in from a different way and I was worried that he wouldn't actually give me a shot. After a long wait he came in, but too close. I had my sight set for 100 and he was at 89. At the shot I was slightly above him and straight on. The bullet hit his shoulder and turned and followed the spine and exited the flank. YANK the rug. I reloaded and watched for a minute and all of a sudden he was up. I could not believe my eyes that buck was up and walking (wobbly) I set my sight for 150 yards and put the rifle on the shooting sticks. I then used the range finder and when he got to 150 yards I was going to shoot again. He stopped quartering hard to the left. Then he turned his head and looked back at me. In my haste I didn't think of the wind. I had a solid 15 MPH wind that was a factor and I didn't know it yet. At the shot the buck was DRT. I gathered my stuff and walked out. That is when I realized that the first shot had been turned by the shoulder blade because of the angle. The second shot blew 4" to the left and hit the same shoulder and exited the neck.
I got it to the river and let it cool down in the river for a few hours and took a few more pictures. I used a gun I built from parts, a bullet I made my self, and I skinned it and gutted it with a knife I made last winter.

Old 09-25-2015, 05:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats on the fine antelope buck.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ron, absolutely great!!!! I am really glad the plan all came together.... really fine looking animal - Congrats
Old 09-25-2015, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like all that practice paid off in spades Ron! Gotta love the old "spare parts" guns accuracy!
Old 09-26-2015, 03:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great job!
Old 09-26-2015, 03:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome Ron! Congrats buddy, great buck and great shooting! Love the pics
Old 09-26-2015, 03:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

You had a lot of time and effort involved and it really paid off w/a great animal. Congrats on your success.
Old 09-26-2015, 04:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice going Ron, thanks for the story and showing the pics.
Old 09-26-2015, 04:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice, congratulations!! I Wanna hunt one of those some day.
Old 09-26-2015, 05:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Excellent account of the hunt. And great pictures. Congratulations on a successful hunt. All your hard pre season scouting paid off. Very nice animal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.