Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 I stripped a hole installing scope base on a new Omega. >

I stripped a hole installing scope base on a new Omega.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I stripped a hole installing scope base on a new Omega.

Old 10-15-2003, 09:42 PM

Default I stripped a hole installing scope base on a new Omega.

Is is it ok to put a scope on a base (and shoot the gun) with only 3 out of the 4 screws installed on the base?

Gun is a NIB Omega SS laminated wood that I ordered and waited 2 months to come in. I installed a Warne SS base on the gun tonight and the third hole up the barrel was a little difficult to run one of the torx screws into. The other 3 holes were fine, the torx screws went in easy. I switched screws and the third hole is still not smooth and easy. I think nothing of it really, just that third hole is rough. I go ahead put blue loctite on the screws, install them and start tightening. Before I even get them nice and snug, the third screw hole strips out. I back out the screw and the screw is fine, the hole is not. I continue snugging the other 3 screw down nice and tight, no problems.

I plan to notify T/C and see what they suggest. I really want to take this gun out and shoot with a scope on it. And I don' t think I' ll have time to send it back to T/C for repairs prior to hunting season. I' m just wondering if anyone has shot a scoped gun that only had 3/4 of the base screwed down.

Old 10-15-2003, 10:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I stripped a hole installing scope base on a new Omega.

A friend of mine wrecked on his 4 wheeler, and the scope and bases were sheered off the barrel. He took the barrel to a gun smith where the holes were tapped for larger screws, and the bases were drilled to accommodate. Good luck.
Old 10-16-2003, 06:51 AM
Fork Horn

Bugs,
It is probably a manufacturing problem, and TC will probably replace the barrel. Their customer service is excellent. CALL them. They will often do a fast turnaround in cases like this.
Many of the older 1 piece bases had only 3 screws, and were used with no problems. I don' t know how thick the steel is in the area of the screw and if firing it without a screw in it would cause a problem, but I have seen many center fire rifles shot with plug screws missing, with no problems. If it were my rifle and I needed it immediately, I would try it and see how it grouped.
Old 10-16-2003, 12:08 PM

I called T/C first thing this morning (while driving to work). Nice lady connected me with a gentleman in their repair department. He said send the barrel in to T/C and we' ll send you out a new one. End of story. His exact words " We don' t dink around trying to fix the threads, we replace the barrel. It' s a manufacturing problem, not a neglect situation and you have a lifetime warrenty." Hmmm, I think I' ll be buying more T/C products in the future.

Only bummer is I' m out of commision for awhile. I' ll report back how long T/C turns around and gets me a new barrel.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:40 PM

Barrel is packaged and ready for the Post Office. I' ll mail it tomorrow. I wonder how long before I get a replacement barrel back from T/C?
Old 10-17-2003, 02:44 AM

Don' t think the post office will except the item
united parcel is the way to go
Old 10-17-2003, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Post Office will take it, no problem. T/C might ship you a new barrel as soon as you give them a tracking number on the return. Be worth a try. I would contact their service department again and find out.
Old 10-19-2003, 09:10 PM

Shipped it Friday morning US Priority Mail. I insured it also. I' m not sure about the tracking number though. I know UPS has tracking numbers, but US Mail??
Old 10-20-2003, 02:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

USPS tracking numbers are next to worthless. You would have had to opt for Delivery Confirmation to get a number that you could use to track the item online, but even then it is unreliable and only shows point of origin and final delivery at best. Last time I used it, my item was still showing as accepted here at my post office (origin) even on the day I got a replacement item back from the manufacturer.

Old 10-24-2003, 01:24 PM

I just got off the phone with T/C concerning my barrel. I shipped the barrel last Friday 10/17, so I figured T/C would have received the barrel by now and had a chance to look at it. Well they received the barrel, last Monday 10/20, but they haven’t looked at it (so much for shipping it Priority – a waste of money). The lady in customer service said it wasn’t scheduled to be done until 11/17. She connected me to the repair shop. The guy I talked to at the repair shop was different than the guy I talked to 8 days ago and he had a different story. He said T/C try’s to re-tap the stripped hole and if that doesn’t work they send you a new barrel. I say “OK, this is different than what I was told 8 days ago, so when will you attempt to re-tap my barrel?” (I NEED a barrel.) He says “The week after next or the week after that, it all depends.” I say “WHAT!!” He says “There’s a minimum 4 week turn around on repairs.” I say “I wish I would have known that before I shipped the barrel. I would have hunted with open sights and sent the barrel in after the season is over. 4 weeks is too long a wait for my hunting season.” He says “If you have a hunting season coming up we’ll try and get priority on your barrel, move it to the head of the line.” I say “Thank you.”

I have to wait 4 weeks for T/C to fix a defect that T/C built into their product. That’s great. I’m not only out the cost of shipping a barrel back to the manufacturer (because of a manufacturing defect), I’m out the gun for the hunting season I purchased the gun for. Hmmm… maybe I should have purchased a Knight or CVA.

I’m less impressed with T/C customer service than I was a week ago. I’ll call again next Friday and see if any progress has been made.

Quick Reply: I stripped a hole installing scope base on a new Omega.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.