Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cleaning

Old 08-25-2015, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the OE tip Pete. Waiting on the FF to come in stock.

I recall the first time my hunting partner found out pellets was a bad idea in his sidehammer Traditions Deerhunter. So he got the bullet puller in action - then kept banging the side of the bore to release the two Pyrodex pellets.

They were stuck in there. When he first started ML'ing, he painted Bore Butter all over his bore wall. I ended-up priming his nipple with my loose FFF 777 to get those pellets out of that bore.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pete, pellets are designed with an accelerant through the holes in the middle. That is why they are NOT consistent from sidehammer ignition. They are made for inlines. I'd be willing to bet that Traditions sidelock you linked to would experience the exact same inconsistency every other sidelock has with pellets. I personally don't use the things myself. Never found them to be anywhere near the consistency of loose.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

T/C also made a sidelock called a Firestorm which had pellet load data. Both the T/C and the Traditions "pellet pushers" have removable breach plugs. It looks like the fire from the pan powder hits the pellet at its base.

I certainly would not recommend using pellets but.....
Old 08-25-2015, 09:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Pete, pellets are designed with an accelerant through the holes in the middle. That is why they are NOT consistent from sidehammer ignition. They are made for inlines. I'd be willing to bet that Traditions sidelock you linked to would experience the exact same inconsistency every other sidelock has with pellets. I personally don't use the things myself. Never found them to be anywhere near the consistency of loose.
I know that, but the one I posted does work with pellets, and it's even a flintlock.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

re-directed flame channel systems still encounter misfire with pellets. They may ADVERTISE that they work but that doesn't mean they are consistent. I wouldn't put my trust in one on a buck of a lifetime. I wouldn't even put my trust in pellets period. Some may get good results from them and I'm sure many do. I just like to take as many possible factors off the table as I can. Click, poof, no boom with a 170 inch buck in my sights just isn't something I want to see.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nobody is trying to sell you the gun. I have a friend who has one, and it's never failed to fire.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
T/C also made a sidelock called a Firestorm which had pellet load data. Both the T/C and the Traditions "pellet pushers" have removable breach plugs. It looks like the fire from the pan powder hits the pellet at its base.

I certainly would not recommend using pellets but.....
I have a T/C Firestorm flintlock and it has never had a pellet shoved down the bore since I've owned it. A friend of mine's Dad has the same rifle and and has tried pellets, but went back to loose powder because he found them to be unreliable, especially in our late (Dec/Jan) flintlock only season. Another friend bought one of the Traditions "PA Pellet" model flintlocks and found out the same thing. They both use loose Black powder now.

The pellets may work better in the sidelock percussion rifles, but I wouldn't waste the time and $$$ using them in a flintlock.

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 08-25-2015 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

A lot of guys have problems with flintlocks using any powder.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

..... plus many PA Pellet rifle owners blame their hang/misfires on the gun, when in-fact the blame belongs to how & where they store their pellet-powder.

It's no secret that pellet powder more easily attracts moisture... for a host/number of reasons.... mainly storage and the insistence to reuse the same two pellets that spent three days hunting in the woods last year. Notice how the Redi-Pack that comes with the new purchase, does NOT include pellets? Why?..... because Traditions does not want responsibility for mis/hangfires.

Redi-Pak includes .50-cal. brass jag, round plastic ball starter, 25 cotton cleaning patches, 15 Hornady XTP bullets with plastic sabots, 2 universal fast loaders, a 209 plastic capper, brass in-line nipple pick, 1-oz. Bullet Lube, 4-oz. EZ Clean Solvent, double-ended nylon bristle cleaning brush, and a "how to" DVD.

Last edited by Triple Se7en; 08-26-2015 at 06:09 AM.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've always thought pellets was the worse idea ever for muzzleloaders. Right up there with smokeless powder.

If someone is so lazy they can't measure out the powder. They should stick to shooting CF guns, and factory ammo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.